Chapter 19

Nathan was sitting in his car in the parking lot of the station he was trying to put off questioning Maxie because he was really not looking forward to it. Just then Nathan sees Maxie's car sitting across the parking lot so he decided to get out to examine her car. Nathan makes it over to her car and at first he doesn't see any damage until he looks at the front side near the passengers seat and he sees a huge scrape on that side as if she had scrapped it on something.

Nathan then heads into the station knowing that he can't put off question Maxie any longer. As soon as he makes it to the station he sees Maxie sitting at his desk with Georgie.

Maxie looks up and says, "Hey I'm so glad that you are safe. I was beginning to worry about you and you were answering any of my phone calls."

"Yeah Maxie I am sorry about that I was busy investigating the hit and run."

"Well did you actually find out who was injured?"

"Yes I did it was Spinelli and Lulu."

"LULU?!?! Oh My God!! I HAVE TO GO SEE HER!" Nathan please tell me you found who did this."

"Well Maxie that is why I'm here."

"What do you mean are you here following a lead or something?"

"Yeah you could say that. Look Maxie as much as I hate what I'm about to do I have to do it."

"Nathan? What are you talking about your scaring me?"

"Maxie when we arrived to the scene we questioned Spinelli about who was driving the other car and he said that it was a blonde driver in a grey or silver sedan. Then he went on to say how you two had a confrontation right before he got in his accident."

"So what does all that have to do with... WAIT!! YOU DON'T ACTUALLY THINK I CAUSED THIS ACCIDENT DO YOU?"

"Maxie of course I don't think you caused it but I still have to question you as if you are a suspect in this case."

"Nathan I can't believe you are actually doing this to me."

"Maxie it is my job and I hate this just as much as you do now could you please follow me into the interrogation room."

"Alright but what about Georgie?"

"We could have Valerie watch her if that's okay with you?"

"Fine."

Nathan then calls Valerie over and says, "Valerie could you watch Georgie while Maxie and I talk in the interrogation room."

"Yeah sure I don't mind."

Maxie then hands Georgie over to Valerie and walks into the interrogation room with Nathan. Nathan closes the door behind them and begins questioning Maxie.

"Now Maxie just know that the only way I can help you is if you tell me the truth no matter how bad."

"Okay Nathan shouldn't be too hard since I have nothing to hide."

"Alright well let's begin."
"What was your confrontation with Spinelli about?"

"I already told you this."

"Yeah well humor me."

"Okay Spinelli cornered me in the parking lot of our apartment harassing me like he had been doing for the past week. He was ranting on about how we stole Georgie from him and how he was going to make us pay. I told him that it was the judge who decided he was unfit to be Georgie's parent and then he went on to say how you made him loose Georgie. Then I went on to tell him that if he wants to blame anyone for him loosing custody then it should be Ellie. I then got in my car and started it as Spinelli told me that he was going to get his revenge on both of us and then he gave me that smug look that shook me to the core."

"And what did you do after this confrontation with Spinelli?"

"I drove out of the parking lot of our apartment and then I drove straight here."

"Did you take the normal route here?"

"Yes I wanted to get here quick because Georgie was getting excited to see you."

"Maxie where did the scrape on the passenger side of your car come from?"

"I don't know it just appeared there last week."

"Wait a minute Maxie you have a scrape on your car and you don't know how it go there?"

"Yes."

"Maxie remember how I told you I need you to be honest with me for me to help you."

"Nathan I am being honest I honestly don't know where the scrape came from."

Nathan then starts pacing the room while running his fingers through his hair.

"Maxie this does not look good for you especially the fact that I don't know how long it took you to get from the apartment to here because I wasn't expecting you it was a surprise visit."

"Nathan I swear to you I didn't do this there is no way I would cause an accident like that especially with Georgie in the car. I am her mother there is no way i would chance her being hurt or some innocent bystander. Nathan you know me better than anyone else in this world I think you know just as well as I do that I didn't cause this accident. Plus I think you know my scheming mind enough to know that if I were to do something like this I wouldn't be so reckless about it or involve my daughter."

"I do know you well enough this all seems too sloppy to be your style. I mean you have told me all about your schemes and if you were going to do something like this you wouldn't be stupid enough to use your own car or endanger Georgie."

"Exactly! I mean what even made you think that I could do something like this. Regardless of how I feel about Spinelli he is still Georgie's father and I could never look at her everyday knowing that I did something to hurt her dad."

"Yeah I guess that is true, but the truth is Dante does think that you are responsible for this or at least there is a chance that you did it."

"I'm not surprised by that I have done a lot of horrible things in my life so of course he thinks that I tried to take the law into my own hands it sure wouldn't be the first time."

"Well Maxie we are going to find out who did this I promise you that."

"Oh my god Nathan what if this is Spinelli's revenge. What if he is setting me up.?"

"Do you really think Spinelli would go as far as risking his own life just to get revenge on us?"

"If it means proving me to be an unfit parent he would."

"Oh my god Maxie I think you are right. What is a better way to prove you unfit then this?"

"Exactly!1 Nathan we have to stop Spinelli before he takes Georgie from us forever. I mean if he go as low as framing me for a hit and run he will try to use any and everything against us."

Nathan then said, "Maxie there is something I need to tell you. Something I should have told you a while ago."