Chapter 12

I woke up early that day, when the sun was just appearing on the horizon, languidly showing its first rays. I could hear the birds singing somewhere, the sound of the wind and the creaking of the trees, and I couldn't close my eyes again. I rubbed my face with my palms and yawned silently, shaking my disheveled hair. For two weeks now, the gang had been cautiously settling into the territory we'd found and learning what was going on in the nearby towns and cities. So far, we'd been wary of traveling to Valentine, and for the most part everyone had stayed in camp and helped set it up. During this time, the wound on my leg had already healed, leaving a crooked scar for the rest of my life, and I had stopped using my cane and the help of others. I spent most of my time sleeping, hiding in my own tent.

Stretching my back from the hard ground, I put on black pants and shirt and looked outside. It was quiet, except for a loud snoring sound that echoed throughout the neighborhood, and I couldn't even tell who it belonged to. It sounded like a musical chorus of different timbres and baritones. I was surprised no one had found us yet.

The sky overhead was mauve-pink. The morning chill made my whole body shiver, and I wrapped myself more tightly in the light jacket I'd thrown over my shoulders. I stared into the distance, at the crowns of trees and stone slopes, the small wooden houses and narrow rivers below. The camp was near a steep cliff, and the view was terribly breathtaking. My sleep still lingered, so I yawned again, covering my face with my hands for a second.

- Coffee?

- Oh god, - I jumped up and down in surprise, almost shrieking at the whole camp.

- Sorry, - Hosea smiled guiltily, handing me a mug of coffee.

- Good morning to you too, - I said, taking the hot drink from the man, the bitter taste of which made me cringe, and I held back the urge to spit it back out.

- What are you going to do today? - he asked, standing beside me with one arm at his side.

- I don't know, - I answered, sighing. - I think I'm going to try to get out to Valentine, see what I can do.

- Guys are already heading that way, - Matthews said, pointing toward the back of the camp.

- I'll go ask to be a traveling companion, - I said, swigging my mug, and then stopped when I saw movement in the distance by a wide tree. - Did he spend the whole night like that?

- Yes, - man answered with a sigh, glancing back to where I was. - Dutch thinks he might know something and turn Colm in.

- Well, good luck with that, - I muttered, and jokingly bowed and went off to find the guys.

Hosea nodded back with a smile and stayed looking at the horizon where the sun was slowly rising. Discreetly I poured the rest of my coffee on the ground and set the mug on the nearest table. Hugging myself to my shoulders, I headed for a slight rustle and quiet voices somewhere near the trees. There a still sober Bill and Javier were already climbing into the wagon, and Charles was harnessing the horse. The last one was now dressed in a plain blue shirt, the edges of which hung loosely over his brown pants, and the thickness of his long black hair was enviable, as was Javier's too. Escuella had his hair in a long ponytail, his white shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow, and he wore a blue vest over it. Bill still looked as if he had never washed or changed his clothes, which looked as if dogs had slept on them during the night.

Oh, the thought of a hot bath and clean water drove me crazy. I had to make do with the nearest lake for now.

The yellowed sweatshirt with time and stains was a heroic effort to hide the large belly and hairy chest of this large humanoid bear, and the man wore a long leather coat over it all. Even now he was drinking, hopefully, coffee, and half of the contents had spilled out of the mug, leaving a few dark stains on the shirt. Bill cursed and began wiping at the stains with his hands, smearing them even more, then waved his hand and gave up.