Chapter 10

The early morning was covered with a thick layer of snow and surrounded by a relentless blizzard. I woke up when realised that I couldn't breathe under the blanket. My body whimpered from the uncomfortable position and the prickling springs. Somewhere outside my hiding place I could hear muffled voices, more like whispers, the light crackle of a fire, cautious footsteps, creaking floorboards, and the long howl of the wind. As I stirred, I threw off the blanket and regretted it as the frost touched my body beneath the warm clothes, making me groan and cover my eyes again.

– Good morning to you, too, – I heard a voice that sounded surprisingly sonorous, as if it had hit me on the brain, and I crinkled my nose in frustration.

– Why so happy? – I grumbled as Karen plopped down on the edge of the bed and put my legs in her lap.

– Why wouldn't I be? – she replied, flicking a strand of blonde hair back from her forehead. – Just a good mood, you can even thank me.

– Oh god, I thank all the saints in existence that Karen Jones is in such a good mood today, – I mumbled, rolling over onto my other side.

I wrapped my arms around the blanket, yawning silently as a woman's hands pulled me by my feet, and I fell to the hard floor with a thud, tangled in the same blanket I'd been cuddling so sweetly.

– Are you insane? – I said grumpily, rubbing my aching thigh.

– I thought you were asleep, – she replied, shrugging playfully.

– I'll throw you in the snow and keep you there until you suffocate, – I said angrily, leaning my back against the edge of the bed. – Watch out.

– Maybe you both have a problem with your heads.

We looked up sharply, as if Karen and I were still delinquent little girls, and stared at a sullen Susan with hands at her sides in warning. Her thick black hair, gathered up in a voluminous bun, was covered with a warm shawl. She looked down at us expectantly. Karen snorted unhappily, tucked her chin, and silently rose to her feet, not even giving me a hand. The blonde hated being controlled or forced to do anything, especially by miss Grimshaw. They both had a way with words and liked to fight. So miss Jones went out the door, where she would probably be of more use.

– Flighty girl, – Susan grumbled, shaking her head. – What are you doing here? Do you need a separate invitation? Do something useful.

– I'm getting up, getting up, – I sighed, getting up from the floor. – You've blowing my mind since this morning.

Rubbing my sleepy eyes and face, I stretched and shook my body to shake off the sweet slumber. I moved closer to the fireplace, where Abigail, Tilly, and Mary-Beth were sitting by the blazing fireplace, talking excitedly about something.

– Hello, Joe, – Abby said dejectedly, wrapping her arms around herself.

– Good morning, – I replied, yawning involuntarily, and then squinted suspiciously, staring at all three of them, who were also staring back at me. – What's wrong?

– John, – the girl answered with a sigh, lowering her eyes down. – He's been gone for two days, and the blizzard hasn't stopped.

– Do you think something happened to him? – I asked with a sigh.

– I hope not, – Abigail said, shaking her head. – But I'm worried.

I stared at the fire in silence. A faint warmth touched my frozen hands. Something could have happened to Marston. He was a man who liked to get into trouble and get away with it, but this time a strange feeling settled in my chest. And that worried look in Abigail's eyes. Whatever John was, she loved him anyway, even if she continued to secretly condemn this criminal lifestyle. Now the whole gang was in danger after what had happened in Blackwater. Shaking my head, I ran my eyes around the room thoughtfully. Everyone seemed to have decided to fill this cabin early in the morning. In the far corner sat Hosea, reading an icy book to little Jack, who seemed on the verge of falling asleep. On the other side sat a silent Javier, quietly smoking a cigarette and staring straight ahead.