Chapter 2

A flickering candle burned faintly, casting bizarre shadows on the walls. I was looking at my reflection in the mirror, braiding thin pigtails with a familiar movement, which would then hide among the red curls. The small room was plunged into darkness. It was getting dark early, the sky seemed black, and the snow was falling in a dense veil to the ground, foreshadowing the coming blizzard. The trees tilted under the sharp gusts of wind. The house creaked as if it was about to collapse. Approaching the window, fixed my gaze on a barely noticeable light in the distance. Maybe it was the light from the houses of the city, or a lonely traveler set up camp and lit a useless fire, which will be covered with snow soon.

There was a feeling of emptiness inside. A nagging longing throbbed somewhere under ribs. It was like this morning I felt another side of life with the same other people, where for a second I could feel a little happy. I shook my head, pulling myself out of the quagmire of unnecessary dreams, but thoughts of leaving my own home have been bothering me lately.

The front door opened noisily. A deep-throated laugh shook the wooden walls, and I looked excitedly at the door to my room. When I got home, neither Jim or Thomas was there, and now, apparently, the brothers had returned from another drinking party together. Involuntarily shuddered when they began to sing songs brought from the local saloon. She hoped that their behavior might have disturbed her father, and Frank would slap his sons around the neck, silencing them. But he did not react in any way, as if he was not at home.

– Where is our little sister?!

There was dangerous amusement in their voices. I involuntarily, as if the instinct of the victim had worked before meeting with a predator, I looked around in an attempt to find a place where I could hide.

– Joanna!

But I froze, as if my legs refused to move at all, rooted to the floor. The stairs outside the room creaked under heavy footsteps, and I held my breath, feeling my stomach twist into a tight knot. The door swung open abruptly. Thomas appeared in it. His large figure occupied the entire doorway, almost touching the top with his head. I thought my father was a tall man, but his eldest son was even taller.

– Are you bored alone again? – his voice was insinuating and cautious.

– I'm having a great time alone, Thomas, – I replied, trying not to show the tremor in my voice.

– Join us, – he held out his hand invitingly. – It's fun with us, you know.

My brother seemed drunk and sober at the same time. His eyes were cloudy, his face relaxed, but he stood on firm legs.

– Thanks for the invitation, but I'm going to ask you to leave me alone, – I said, biting my lip until it hurt.

My heart was pounding wildly in anticipation of something bad. In two steps he crossed the distance between us and firmly grabbed my arm.

– Stop acting like that, Joe, – he said, his dark eyes flashing. – We've been through this before. Don't make me cross the line.

– You're doing it anyway, – I said through my teeth as my brother dragged me along.

Stumbled down the stairs. There Jim, leaning on the table so as not to lose his balance, hummed some annoying melody. When he saw me, he smiled broadly, spread his arms, laughed and climbed up with hugs, as if he hadn't seen his sister for many years.

– Joanna! – his arms wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him. – My beloved sister!

It was as if I had been plunged headfirst into a viscous swamp. My brother smelled like he had shit put right in his mouth. I squeezed my eyes shut, as if it would help me to dissolve and disappear.