5. Parathas

Abhimaan

I woke up at 6:30 and went for a jog. All the time while jogging I kept thinking about her. I was still unable to see her face in the darkness but her giggles and the smiles on the faces of my father and brother when they walked in later were something I always wanted to see. And it made me doubt about my father's choice for me even more.

By the time I got back most of the workers were moving here and there doing some work and decorations. I don't have the slightest idea of what was going on. I shrugged my thoughts and walked in. 

"Good morning Abhimaan baby!" I heard a shrill which made me cringe internally. It was Riya. What's wrong with her? Why is she behaving like we are both teenage lovers? Leave about being lovers, we never talked like friends, ever. The interactions we had in the past few months can be counted on my fingertips and they were all just to make my father happy and to be frank he didn't look very happy about it. He just smiled and blessed her whenever they met, nothing more than that.

"Good morning?" I wished her back but it came out as a question. I heard someone giggle and turned to look but that person had already turned to leave. I could only see her back. The same back that made me lost in her thoughts for a few seconds every time I saw her including now.

"That bitch!" Riya gritted her teeth. Now I get it. She was trying to show off in front of that girl but it looked like I spoiled her plan. Well, I don't want to be something that she uses to make others jealous. I went to my allotted room neglecting her.

I took a relaxing shower and got ready. I descended the stairs and took my place at the dining table for breakfast. 

"Where are others?" Uncle asked Aunt not finding the remaining people. She shook her head before answering.

"With her. It doesn't seem like she wants to join us." She heaved a sigh.

"Do you think you deserve her to join you people after what you have done to her?" Adithya gritted his teeth. What did they do to her? Who is she to them? Why is this family full of mysteries and why everyone speaks in puzzles? 

"Adithya, hold your tongue. She was punished for her mistakes!" Uncle warned glaring at him. Adithya scoffed before laughing humorlessly.

"You think she did that? I really wish she was not born here. You people don't deserve her." He seethed. His nerves popped out due to his raging anger. His father's eyes held the equal anger but Aadhitya didn't lower his gaze even a little.

"Adithya!" His mother raised her voice.

"If it was not to save her from you and your toxic daughter I would have bought her back the day you ordered her to leave! And don't you worry, I am going to move out with my sister as soon as this wedding concludes. As she is back now, I am not going to let you drift us apart. Not again!" He roared and stomped out after throwing a nasty glare at Riya who squimmed in her place. 

Achinthya uncle who walked in just then saw him stomping out and shook his head.

"See mumma, bhai changed again after she came back!" Riya complained looking at her parents. Her mother placed her hand over Riya's giving her a reassuring squeeze. 

"Riya!" Achinthya uncle called in a warning tone. His demeanor is entirely different from what he always carries. He looked pissed and thoroughly riled up.

"She is right Achinthya!" Ankush uncle exclaimed looking at the roof with his hands running in his hair messing it.

"If you thought Adi stopped thinking about his Cheenu just because you sent her away then you are wrong bhai sa. And if you believe Drithi did something wrong then you are living in a lie.  You don't understand both of your children!" He said looking disappointedly at the king and queen before walking away.