14. VIHAAN

"Mission Win Surbhi accomplished. Mission Win Surbhi's Family on," I announce as we sit in the car and drive to her hometown.

"You're awful at this," she huffs.

I wink.

"Just wait and watch."

With the huge mansion up for sale, the Khuranas are living in their old house. The family heirloom is in the less developed area of the city. The drive is not long, yet rough.

I gave the driver an off because I didn't want any more audience than what I am bound to get in the house. The streets are rocky and I regret bringing my BMW rather than hiring a cab.

"Take a left," Surbhi tells the way.

I swivel the wheel and narrowly miss a cow.

Amazing start of the day.

"Do they know we are coming?" I ask.

"Would you want them to?"

"No."

"They do."

Perfect.

"Right there," Surbhi points at a brown building. The house is comparatively larger than the buildings surrounding it and there's no mistaking the Khurana nameplate.

"Alright," I park the car and take a deep breath.

What if I'm not able to convince them?

Shh Vihaan. Positive thoughts.

A sound comes from my right and I tilt my head to find Surbhi placing a palm on her mouth, suppressing laughter.

"You're enjoying this," I raise a brow.

"Am I not supposed to? My almighty husband- scared of seeking blessing from her wife's family?" She says amused.

I let out an indecisive sound.

"Grunt all you want Mr. Singhania, but now it's my turn to see you fret," she says.

I move to grab her but she leaps out the door laughing like a kid. I shake my head at her childish nature and find myself laughing too.

On the front door, Surbhi stands hugging her mom tightly. When they break the hug, I approach aunty with a tight smile and touch her feet. She briefly places a palm on my head and invites us inside.

Surbhi meets all her relatives happily and I receive disapproving stares. Before lunch, I pull her aside.

"Should we-umm-give everyone the gifts we brought with us?"

"Yeah," she says noncommittally, looking for someone over my shoulder.

"Surbhi-"

"I gotta go," she tells me and runs to Gaurav who just came home from college.

My palms are clammy and I'm not sure I'm doing a great job here. I wished she would stay by my side but looking at her happy and cheerful, I can't ask this of her.

This is my battle. I'll win it for myself.

"This is delicious," I compliment, taking another bite of pav bhaji.

"I didn't know you liked pav bhaji so much," Surbhi says, pleased with me relishing the dish.

"I don't remember the last time I ate pav bhaji."

"What?" She asks in disbelief and a few others gawk at me too. "How could you have not eaten pav bhaji every once in a while?"

This is the opening I wanted. If I'm going to convince these people to let their daughter spend the rest of her life with me, then I'll have to peel my layers and show them the real me.