8. SURBHI

Rain taps heavily on my window and thunder roars in the distance. I feel tingles go down my spine, urging me to get up and peep out. I want to see if Vihaan is still standing outside. Although, the prospect is highly unlikely. Another flash of lightning strikes.

Due to my newfound fear of the dark, curtsy of my husband dearest, I keep the lights of my room on the entire night. So if I peek out and he is there, then he will be able to spot me instantly. I drink my warm tea and get cosy in a soft blanket.

I pull out a book- King of Wrath, by Ana Huang and flip through the pages to find the one where I left the last time. It's Dante and Vivian's story, which had the same start as mine and Vihaan's, with a much more complicated plot.

Dante was respectful towards Vivian even when he disliked their arrangement, contrary to Vihaan Singhania. I'm at the part where Vivian has left him, and he is now grovelling to win her back.

I think about Vihaan. Under different circumstances, I would have felt good that someone wanted me enough to put this much effort into saving our relationship. I would have run straight into his arms and told him that I wanted to give him and us another chance.

But in contrast to how Dante's apologies were sincere, Vihaan's aren't. Now my naive side is dead, and I can finally see that there was never any retribution for him.

I'm never gonna forgive him.

I'll never fall for his trap again.

I promise myself and drift to sleep.

In the morning, my curiosity gets the better of me. Before I step out of my building, where I know Vihaan will be waiting for me, I approach the security guard.

He's been on duty since last night.

"Good morning," I say, extending a warm smile to him.

I offer him tea in a disposable cup and some cookies.

"Thank you," he returns the smile gratefully.

After beating around the bush for a bit, I inquire "Did Vihaan go home last night?" while fidgeting my fingers.

I don't know why I am nervous and I don't know what answer I am expecting. Do I want to hear YES? The logical part of me, of course, does. But the hopeless side of mine is starving for the answer he gives me.

"No."

"No?" I ask in astonishment.

He shakes his head.

"No matter how hard it rained, the man didn't move from his usual spot. He sat under the tree holding a small plastic board over his head in a sorry attempt to shield himself. He only left at his usual time during dawn."

"Oh! I see," I remark, but I do not see. I do not see why Vihaan is going to such lengths. I do not understand why he would torture himself this way.

"Ma'am, do you want me to report him to the police?" The guard asks with worry emanating from his eyes.

"No," I'm quick to deny. Having him pull out our marital contract in front of the authorities is the last thing I want right now.

I walk out of the building, and I'm met with the devil himself. He is smiling at me. He's as handsome as ever, but something seems different. His nose is red, and he has a scarf around his neck. I've never seen him so...clothed.

"Good morning! You look pretty today," he says, and I notice that his voice is also more raspy like he has a cold.

As if the security guard's words weren't proof enough, these symptoms are.