Birds of a Feather Pt. 5

Note: Last part for Birds of a Feather!!

Floating feathers

"Why are we searching the Charms classroom?" Talbott asked, clearly confused.

"Just hear me out," she said excitedly. "Professor Flitwick uses feathers to teach 'Wingardium Leviosa' in Charms, right?"

"Right?" Talbott agreed, still perplexed.

"And your necklace has a feather on it, right?" She widened her eyes as if urging Talbott to understand her point.

Talbott's confusion deepened. "...right?"

She sighed and toned down her excitement. "So I thought maybe your necklace might have gotten mixed up with Professor Flitwick's supply of feathers."

Talbott chuckled. "Of course you would," he said, finding the idea amusing.

"But you admit it's possible, right?" She asked, trying to make sense of his thoughts.

"Theoretically, yes," he conceded, still laughing.

"So let's get searching. We have a lot of feathers to sort through," Y/N said as she started to sift through the box of feathers.

They found some pretty feathers, some charred ones, and even Talbott's lost quill, but there was no sign of the necklace.

"It was a good idea, but it looks like my necklace isn't here either," Talbott said, leaning over the desk and looking up at the ceiling. A small pause, and then he added, "Y/N, what if I never find my necklace?"

Y/N felt a pang of sympathy for him, as he looked so sad. "That won't happen," she reassured him. "We will find it, no matter what."

She lightly patted his shoulder, trying to lift his mood. "We've already covered almost half the castle... we still have half of it to search through," she grinned. "So stop sulking," she playfully teased.

"Thanks, though I'm not sulking," Talbott replied, his mood slightly lifting.

"Of course, Talbott," she said with a smile. "I know things have been hard on you, but it was nice to see you laughing earlier. Aren't you glad I came along?" she waited for his reply, hoping for a compliment.

"Not if you're going to lord it over me if I say yes," he joked, rolling his eyes good-naturedly. "Still, I will admit that I enjoyed searching for my necklace with you more than I expected."

"It's almost as if we're... friends, eh?" Y/N teased, already knowing his response.

"I wouldn't go that far," he quipped, stepping back a bit. His resolve to keep her at arm's length remained strong, despite the moments of camaraderie.

"For now, but I'm confident I'll wear you down," Y/N said with a grin.

Shaking his head at her antics, he asked, "So where should we search next?"

"About that, I've been thinking we might be going about looking for the necklace the wrong way." she said, changing the subject.

"What do you mean?" Talbott asked.

"That it's time we put our Animagus abilities to good use..." she said enthusiastically, excited at the prospect of utilising her animal form.

~~~

"It can't hurt to search the training grounds again." The both of them exited the classroom and headed towards the training grounds.