55. Lazarus Rising

Start from the beginning

"Don't lie to us," Piper said intensely.

"I'm not lying."

Dean advanced on him. "So what now, I'm off the hook and you're on, is that it? You're some demon's bitch-boy? I didn't want to be saved like this."

Sam stood, angrily. "Look, Dean, I wish I had done it, all right?"

Dean grabbed Sam by the front of his shirt. "There's no other way that this could have gone down. Now tell the truth!"

Sam broke Dean's grip. "I tried everything. That's the truth. I tried opening the Devil's Gate. Hell, I tried to bargain, Dean, but no demon would deal, all right? You were rotting in Hell for months. For months, and I couldn't stop it. So I'm sorry it wasn't me, all right? Dean, I'm sorry."

Dean relented. "It's okay, Sammy. You don't have to apologize. I believe you."

"Don't get me wrong, Piper, Josh and I are gladdened that Sam's soul remains intact, but it does raise a sticky situation," Bobby said.

"If he didn't pull me out, then what did?"

Dean, Bobby and Piper were seated on the couch. Josh was on a chair. Sam entered and passed out bottles of beer, then sat across from Dean.

"So what were you doing around here if you weren't digging me out of my grave?" Dean questioned.

"Well, once I figured out I couldn't save you, I started hunting down Lilith, trying to get some payback," Sam answered.

"All by yourself," Bobby said in an accusatory tone. "Who do you think you are, your old man?"

Dean noticed something, frowned, and crossed towards it.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sorry, Bobby, Piper, Josh," Sam apologized. "I should have called. I was pretty messed up."

Dean picked up what he'd seen; a pink flowered bra. He held it up. "Oh yeah. I really feel your pain."

Josh pursed his lips.

"Anyways, uh, I was checking these demons out of Tennessee, and out of nowhere they took a hard left, booked up here."

"When?"

"Yesterday morning."

"When I busted out."

Piper frowned. "You think these demons are here 'cause of you?"

"But why?" Sam wondered.

"Well, I don't know - some badass demon drags me out and now this?" Dean said. "It's gotta be connected somehow."

"How you feelin', anyway?" Bobby asked.

"I'm a little hungry."

"No, I mean, do you feel like yourself? Anything strange, or different?"

"Or demonic? Bobby, how many times do I have to prove I'm me?"

"Yeah. Well, listen. No demon's letting you loose out of the goodness of there hearts. They've gotta have something nasty planned."

"Well, I feel fine."

"Okay, look, we don't know what they're planning," Sam told the others. "We got a pile of questions and no shovel. We need help."

"Lil and I know a psychic," Bobby told them. "A few hours from here. Something this big, maybe she's heard the other side talking."

"Hell yeah, it's worth a shot," Dean agreed.

"I'll be right back." Bobby left the room.

Dean, Josh and Piper stood as if to leave.

"Hey, wait," Sam called, standing. "You'll probably want this back." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a cord. It was Dean's amulet.