33- Temporary Housing

*TW: blood

"Once more. I want to hear it again."

"I love you," they whispered into my ear before kissing my neck. "I want you to stay with me."

"I will."

"Take me to the forest." They continued holding me, but scooted away to look into my eyes.

"Darling-"

"No, please."

"We can't risk this. If we get caught. . .think of the consequences," I trailed off. Y/N rubbed my arms, trying to soothe me. It should be the other way around. I should be calming them. But I can't.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Y/N studied my body language. I had to keep my eyes focused on the stars above the greenhouse roof to not cry. "Mountain. Look at me. How can I help you?"

"I don't know." I tried to steady my breathing by placing the palms of my hands on the ground. The smooth concrete of the greenhouse was cool. "I'm scared. And I don't know what to do."

"It's all right to be scared. I am, too."

"No-"

"Shh, it's okay." Y/N hugged my side, but my hands were free. They roamed and settled onto my arms, running up and down like all the other times before.

"I'm sorry! I can't help you, and I don't know what to do. I-I don't know anymore." My claws started to rake up and down my arms faster, faster, faster. They ripped my sleeves and broke the skin.

"Darling, are- oh!" Y/N gasped, seeing the blood trickle down my arms. I started to cry, praying that they couldn't hear me.

They can't see me like this. So defenseless and vulnerable. Weak and pathetic. They must think I'm a shitty and useless specimen of a boyfriend.

Instead of immediately scolding me for accidentally hurting myself, Y/N cleaned my wounds and tried to calm me down. They were so gentle with me, like I was porcelain or a precious jewel. After bandaging me up, they wiped my tears off my mask and the area around my eyes.

"I can't help it. I have to learn better coping skills, I know. I'm sorry."

"Crying is perfectly fine, but I want you to try to find a new way to cope with anxiety, okay?" They took a deep breath. "Do you need to have medicine?"

"I am going to get some soon. Please don't be mad at me."

"Oh darling, I could never be mad at you. I just want you to be safe because I love you."

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

"Yes, but I have to leave early in the morning. I already made up my mind earlier."

"Why?"

"It's only a matter of time before Special realizes I'm hidden in plain sight. I have to go."

. . .

Sodo woke up from his nap to Rain's nails digging into his arms.

"What the fuck, Rain?!" He yelled, shaking off Rain's nails. He noticed that the Water ghoul was shaking.

"You're alive! Thank Satan!" Rain gasped.

"The fuck do you mean? I've been alive for quite a long time if you haven't been able to tell already," Sodo grumbled, sitting up on the couch.

"I was watching you sleep, and you stopped breathing, and-and I thought you died!" Rain flailed his arms as he explained.

"Wait. Hold on. Back up the car. Why were you watching me sleep?"