Chapter 18: Love Right Where We Are (Final)

Amanda and Devon were both guilty of kidnapping Matilda and received a 30 year sentence in prison.

The school heard what Amanda did and immediately removed her from the position of being the cheerleading captain.

Meanwhile, Matilda was still traumatized from being kidnapped and trapped for 20 hours in a basement that she couldn't go back to school.

She had to see therapy 4 times a week to heal from her trauma.

To support her, Patrick decided he would quit the basketball team and come home early from school every day to watch over her at her house.

The more time they spent with each other, the more they fell in love.

One of those moments involved Matilda sleeping on Patrick's torso as they both lied on the couch. Patrick was secretly taking selfies of him and Matilda while she slept because she looked so cute. Matilda opened her eyes. He quickly hid his phone from her. Her initial instinct was a bit self-conscious, knowing that she might not look her best in her sleep, with tousled hair and perhaps a peaceful drool escaping her lips. However, her embarrassment quickly gave way to a warm feeling as she saw the affection in Patrick's eyes and the playful smile on his face as he continued to take the photos. Matilda couldn't help but giggle softly and playfully swat at Patrick's hand, protesting his invasion of her sleepy privacy.

Matilda: She whispered. I heard the clicking sounds of your phone. What were you doing, Patrick?

Matilda: Did you take a picture of me while I was sleeping?

Patrick: Uhh, no babe. I was taking selfies of myself.

Matilda: Hmm, don't believe you. Lemme see it for myself haha. She tried to grab for his phone as he held it away from her.

Patrick: Ooh, come and get it. He extended his hands further away from her.

Matilda: She sat up on his legs. Come on, Patrick...I know you did it. Please delete it. It's so embarrassing.

Patrick: Nope. You're too cute for a picture to be deleted, Matilda. Plus, I already posted it on my Instagram.

Patrick: I couldn't resist capturing these adorable moments. You look so sweet when you're asleep.

Matilda's heart melted at his words and the evident love in his gaze. She couldn't stay upset for long, and her initial embarrassment turned into a sense of appreciation and affection for Patrick's thoughtfulness. With a contented sigh, she snuggled closer to him, letting him continue to take a few more pictures while feeling grateful for having such a loving and caring boyfriend.

This went on for 2 months until Matilda's parents finally got the chance to learn more about Patrick when they sat with him in their kitchen.

Matilda's mom: So, Patrick, how well do you speak Chinese?

Patrick: 我的中文还不错,尽管我说得不多。

(Translation: My Chinese is quite okay even though I don't speak it a lot.)

Patrick: 但如果你愿意的话,我可以一直和你说中文。

(Translation: But if you like, I can speak Chinese with you all the time if you want.)

Matilda's dad: Oh my, Patrick. Gotta say...You're very fluent.

After a while, her parents were standing in the hallway talking about Patrick.

Matilda's dad: Patrick is such a good boy don't you think, dear?

Matilda's mom: He is indeed. He's a good boyfriend towards our daughter too.

Patrick was still sitting in the kitchen smiling and thinking of the good things Matilda's parents said about him. A week later, the unexpected happened. Patrick was going back to his house after taking care of Matilda for another day, but a familiar man walked in his direction and he stopped. It was his dad. He returned at last and Patrick couldn't believe his eyes.

Patrick: Dad? Is that you?

Patrick's dad: Yes, it's me, Patrick. You've grown so much...

Patrick's dad: I heard you're doing very well in school. I'm proud of you like always.

Patrick: Why didn't you ever come to see me and Erica, dad?

Patrick's dad: I cleared off...I was selfish. I never knew the damage it would cause.

Patrick's dad: Especially to your mom. I was so unfair to her.

Patrick: All I ever wanted was for us to be a family again...

Patrick's dad: I missed you, son. I'm so sorry for what I did.

Patrick: I missed you even more, dad.

In a sudden rush of emotion, Patrick and his dad embraced each other tightly, their arms wrapping around each other in a bear hug. Tears welled up in both of their eyes as they held each other close, the weight of seven years of separation melting away in that embrace. It was a hug that conveyed forgiveness, love, and a desire to rebuild what had been broken. They both went back inside the house and this time Patrick's dad will face his mom and apologize to her for what he said and did 7 years ago. She was beyond surprised that he was back, but still was nervous for his explanation.

Patrick's dad: I'm extremely sorry for leaving you 7 years ago, Nora.

Patrick's dad: Not a day goes by where I don't miss you nor feel guilty of the hurtful things I said.

Patrick's mom: I can't forgive you for what you did, Elliot...But I want to rebuild our relationship.

Patrick's mom: Because I still want you back in our lives...

Patrick's dad was willing to do anything to mend the broken relationship that hadn't been healed for years. He admitted his mistakes and worked through every step to regain their trust and love. He also wanted to rebuild his relationship with Erica. One afternoon, Erica was having a hard time doing her homework and tried to ask her mom for help.

Erica: Mom! Do you think you can help me with my homework?

Patrick's dad: He appeared instead of her mom. Sweetheart, your mom is busy in the kitchen. But I'm here to help you!

Erica: Okay, dad. All I need help on is...

As Patrick watched his dad interact with his little sister, Erica, helping her with her homework, his smile grew even wider. It was a smile of pride and warmth, watching his father step back into the role of a parent. He saw the care and patience in his dad's eyes as he patiently explained a math problem to Erica, and it filled Patrick's heart with gratitude. The smile on Patrick's face wasn't just for himself but for his family as a whole. It was a smile that acknowledged the possibility of a fresh start, a second chance at a happy and complete family life.

Patrick: He thought to himself. I'm happy my family is healing when dad is back.

8 years later, the event approached for Matilda and Patrick's wedding. Everyone whom they invited were here and this time, Patrick was early to his wedding unlike the dream he once had. Erica was a teenager around this time and was one of their bridesmaids.

Officiant: Patrick, do you take Matilda to be your wife for the rest of your life?

Patrick: I do, sir. I'm fully committed to her.

Officiant: Matilda, do you take Patrick to be your husband for the rest of your life?

Matilda: I do too, sir. I'm also fully committed to him.

Officiant: You may kiss the bride, Patrick.

All around them, their relatives were getting emotional. Tears of joy streamed down the cheeks of some, while others held back sobs of happiness. It was a touching sight to witness the love and support from their families, who had been there for them through thick and thin. It was a moment that encapsulated the essence of their relationship and the profound connection they shared.