Chapter 12: Special Day

Amanda saw Patrick with Matilda in the library. She tried to divert Patrick's attention from Matilda by selling him fake compliments and wanting his help in calculus.

Amanda: Patrick, so nice to see you here!

Patrick: Got up with a bored expression. Oh, hey Amanda. What's up?

Patrick: Do you need to talk to me about something important?

Amanda: Nothing much. I want to congratulate you for helping the soccer team win the last match.

Amanda: You were the first player!

Patrick: Oh, thanks. Nothing that "noble" of me. I don't know how I managed to get the ball in the goal.

Patrick: I appreciate your compliment, Amanda.

Amanda: Also, do you think you can help me with calc?

Amanda: The new material got harder real fast and it's killing my brain.

Patrick: Umm sure, what exactly do you need help on?

Patrick: He thought to himself. This girl is dumb...It's clear she's friends with people for benefits.

Patrick: On the inside. The coach must be blind for thinking she's the perfect fit for a cheer captain.

Patrick continued to be "friendly" towards Amanda while Matilda was sitting down and watching them with a sad expression. She knew Patrick could be taken by any girl in school and she still thought she didn't have a chance with him.

Matilda: On the inside. She's bold and "in your face" type, while I'm shy and never approach guys.

Matilda: On the inside. That's why it's difficult for girls like me to get someone to like them. I'm not sure if Patrick truly likes me deep down.

When Patrick and Matilda were in class together for physics, Miss Weber spoke about the exam she graded.

Miss Weber: Good morning, my Physics 2 students. I graded everyone's exams last night...

Miss Weber: Only one student got a perfect score.

Miss Weber: The student is Matilda Jiang!

Patrick was jaw dropped knowing he wasn't the one who got a perfect score this time. Everyone turned around to look at Matilda.

Senior Girl #1: Omg that girl must be very smart...

Senior Girl #2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I failed my exam...

Matilda: On the inside. Is she sure no one got a perfect score other than me?

Patrick: He smirked to himself. I knew she did better than me!

When the period was over, Patrick followed Matilda outside.

Patrick: Wait, little genius.

Matilda stopped walking.

Patrick: How did you study for the exam? You need to show me some of your smart little methods...

Matilda: I just practiced all the problems I didn't know how to do.

Patrick: What problems? Need to be more specific than that.

Matilda: I can give you my notebook with lecture notes. I finished writing on it.

Matilda: As a matter of fact, I need to buy new notebooks.

Patrick: I think I might need you to tutor me since I'm no longer getting a perfect score on the first try.

Matilda: Ahh, eventually. You realize you need a little genius for your smarty pants mind haha.

Patrick: That's why I called you my little genius, Matilda.

Amanda was fuming with anger and disapproval of their usual friendly encounter.

Amanda: She thought to herself. That nerd needs to know her place! No guy would ever die for a know-it-all with no charisma.

A week passed and Matilda's birthday was coming up. She was sitting with her parents and Richie at the dining table to talk about her birthday plans and events prior to it.

Matilda's mom: Tomorrow is your birthday, dear!

Matilda's dad: Happy early 17th birthday, Matilda.

Matilda's mom: I ordered contacts for you prior to your special day.

Matilda: Omg, really mom? I've always wanted to wear contacts!

Richie: I'm planning to buy you a present even more worthy than that, Matilda.

Matilda's mom: Your grandparents from China will be visiting you! They haven't seen you both in 6 years!

Matilda's dad: Not only did we order contacts, we also booked an appointment at the beauty salon to get you a makeover today.

Matilda's mom: We'll be throwing a party for you tomorrow when you come back from school.

Matilda's mom: We'll invite your relatives and you can invite your friends from school too.

Matilda: Contacts and makeover? This is seriously gonna be the first birthday ever!

Matilda: Thank you so much, mom and dad!

Both her parents gave her a hug and so did Richie.

When they were at the beauty salon, Matilda was undergoing her beautiful transformation. A hairstylist helped her change her hairstyle to make her hair more straight and neat. She wasn't wearing her glasses because she already had her contacts on and another person helped her with makeup. When it was done, Matilda looked like a completely different person. She looked new and fresh.

Worker #1: Miss, how do you like your new look? I hope I didn't outdid your new hairstyle.

Matilda looked in the mirror to take a glance at herself. She beamed and smiled widely.

Matilda: It's like I don't even recognize myself. I love my new look!

Matilda: I'm glad my hair isn't blocking my eyes and it looks good when it's shiny.

Worker #2: You look very gorgeous! I think this style suits you the most.

Worker #2: We used the best hydrating foundation we have. We love turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Tomorrow when Matilda went to school, everyone stared at her in awe. Boys who ignored her before now couldn't stop drooling over her refreshed temporary look. She wore a pastel pink cat sweatshirt with an anima choker worn around her neck, long black leggings, and brown boots. When she sat down in Physics 2 class, other students were whispering about her. Patrick looked over at her on the right and he thought she looked just as good as she did before.

Senior Guy #1: Matilda, looks different doesn't she? I almost thought she was someone else.

Senior Guy #2: Yeah, she finally took off those glasses and revealed her hot face.

Patrick: On the inside. This must be her special day...I knew she was a pretty girl behind her glasses.

Even the guys from the lower grade levels were approaching Matilda.

Junior guy: Matilda...You look fancy today.

Junior guy: Do you think you can help me complete my history homework?

Matilda: Uhh, okay. Maybe I can help you tomorrow at noon.

Patrick: He watched and said to himself. Even the younger guys are the same as the guys in our grade.

Patrick: On the inside. People only talk to her when it comes to schoolwork.

Patrick: On the inside. They don't deserve anyone smart and kind like her.