Chapter 11: Bond With You

On Saturday afternoon, Matilda was diligently working on the physics assignment that was in the form of a canvas quiz. Half of the questions were theoretical while the other half were purely mathematical. When Matilda submitted hers, she got one question wrong but had two attempts left.

Matilda: She thought to herself. What?! I got one wrong...This is a headache.

Matilda: On the inside. Now I need to redo it, but the downside is some numerical values on the questions change...

Matilda: On the inside. Good thing this isn't a one attempt quiz...I hate those.

When she was about to redo it, someone had sent her a text. It was Patrick.

Patrick: He texted. Hey, Matilda...

Patrick: Are you working on the physics hw due on Sunday?

Matilda: She texted back. Yeah, I am Patrick.

Matilda: I did one attempt and got one question wrong. These questions are so difficult and annoying! She texted with an angry face emoji.

Patrick: He texted back. Oh, me? I got 4 of them wrong. With a "scary" face emoji.

Patrick: I guess I didn't understand this chapter well.

Patrick: Kirchoff's rules and Junction Theorem are a bit of a doozy to grasp.

Patrick: Think we can meet up at Blue Bottle café?

Matilda: She texted back. Are you sure you want to do that on a late Sunday afternoon?

Patrick: He texted. Why not? I hate working on physics problems with a classmate online.

Matilda: She texted back. Ok, we can work together in person.

Matilda: On the inside. I never had a guy wanting to do homework with me...

Matilda: On the inside. They all only want to copy off of my work...Patrick is so different.

When they met up, Matilda ordered a strawberry latte and Patrick ordered an iced dark chocolate mocha. They both had their laptops opened and used so many scratch papers to work on their new problems.

Patrick: Ok, I got those 4 problems wrong...

Patrick: Think you can help me check my work?

Matilda: She smiled. Sure, Patrick.

Patrick: For your help in return, I'll help you check your answers. I won't prank you with wrong answers.

Matilda: You better not. I know your cheeky ways, genius boy.

Patrick: Rest assured, you'll get a 100 on your next try.

They took less than half an hour to thoroughly check their new answers on their calculators multiple times.

Patrick: I'm ready to submit. Are you?

Matilda: Ready.

When they submitted, they both got a 100.

Matilda: OH MY GOD. Thank you so much, Patrick.

Patrick: Nah, I should be thanking you more...My little genius.

Matilda: She thought to herself. Did he say "my little genius"? No guy ever called me that! Except Richie.

While Patrick and Matilda were talking, Amanda the cheer captain walked in the café.

Amanda: Hi, please tell me you guys have the lime-frosted coconut bar?

Amanda: The other café I went to ran out of desserts.

Clerk: Oh, sorry someone ordered the last one just now...

Amanda rolled her eyes with a sigh, until a guy with blonde hair and blue eyes spoke. His name was Devon Malcom.

Devon: I'm the one who ordered the dessert...But you can have it instead.

Amanda: Really? Oh my god you're so chivalrous.

In the corner of her eye, she saw Matilda and Patrick together.

Amanda: She thought to herself. Who is that girl? Why is Patrick with her here?

Amanda: On the inside. She's plain, but ugly. Ugly girls don't belong with hot guys.

Amanda waited until the dessert was ready for her.

Clerk: Lime-frosted coconut bar is ready! Have a great day, miss.

When Amanda left Blue Bottle with the dessert in her hand, Devon stopped to talk to her.

Devon: Wait there, beautiful. Do you think we can get to know each other more?

Amanda: Oh, that's sweet. But sorry I don't give edgy looking guys a chance...

Devon: Wow, very straightforward about your desires aren't you?

Devon: What if I told you I live in a penthouse and own a 30k yt channel?

Amanda: She gaped a bit. Did you just say penthouse?

Devon: Yep, I have pictures of my house to show if you don't believe me.

Amanda: She smirked a little. If that's the case, we can definitely get to know each other.

Devon: Lemme add you on my socials.

Amanda: She thought to herself. You're hot, but not as hot as Patrick. So don't aim too high for me.

When Amanda went outside to throw away her drink, her classmate from Chinese school Danny noticed her.

Danny: Matilda! I didn't know you also go to Blue Bottle for a drink.

Matilda: Danny? Nice to see you...What are you doing here?

Danny: I just came from Mr. Ha's extra tutoring sessions. And you, Matilda?

Matilda: I came to Blue Bottle to work on homework with a classmate.

Danny: Homework? For what class?

Matilda: Physics 2.

Patrick was watching the duo talk from afar and he was a bit jealous deep down.

Patrick: Raised his eyebrows and said to himself. Shoot me if he's her other admirer...

Patrick: On the inside. I can approach her with sweetness better than him.

On next Monday morning, Matilda was at school like any other weekday. She sat in the library working on some assignments from her other classes. Patrick came over to have a little chat with her.

Patrick: Very diligent, are you? Doing work before classes start.

Patrick: I don't even do assignments when I'm in class hehe.

Matilda: I mean I have to. Work time comes before play time.

Matilda: I get anxious if I do work at the last minute.

Patrick: Well, that's the attitude I like. But you're not as boring as you depict yourself as.

Patrick: Pity you had to leave with your family while we talked at the mall last time.

Matilda: Yeah, I guess...Your cousin seems really nice and his girlfriend too.

Patrick: Oh, you think so? Do you like my cousin?

Matilda: Huh? No! Why do you think that?

Patrick: No, I'm only joking. You're very good to tease.

Matilda: On the inside. He never stops flirting with me does he?