26 Warned

The room erupted into a quiet applause as the doors swung open, the warm golden light from the gleaming chandeliers lit up the room in a beautiful golden glow. People lined the room on either side, bowing or lowering to curtsie as we walked passed them. Many of them were paying no attention to Emris. All eyes were on me now.
I saw Lady Drodic standing nearest to the throne, her son Lucas was beside her. They were both dressed in green robes, set with gold and silver threads. Rather elegant for the occasion. I didn't feel like I deserved to be celebrated. I was the wife of a Prince. So what? Big deal. I knew Emris said he had a plan to save me from the fate that awaited me and he seemed confident that he could do it- I didn't have it in me to argue with him- he seemed hopeful. It was just one of the many things that I pondered and worried about.
I still questioned his actual feeling towards me. Even now. I couldn't help it. I found it hard to believe that he was truly in love with me. He hadn't sat d the words.
I am devoted to you. That is what he had said. With my hand securely tucked in his arm, it was hard not to question that.
What is it? Emris' voice wrapped around my mind. I shook my head a shoved the thoughts away as we walked down the isle toward the front of the room.
Nothing, I'm sorry.
l glanced around the room as I approached the podium.
"Presenting her Royal Highness Princess Nalia Halcro, Lady of Azga, Wardenss of the North."
Niko's voice echoed through the room as I sat down in the chair beside Emris. His hand was warm, reassuring on mine as we sat down, side by side.
Emris waved his hands. "Welcome my honored guests," he said in a loud clear voice. "It pleases me greatly to see you all here despite recent rumors of war. You are all welcome to stay as long as you like. My home is yours."
Everyone applauded for a moment before Emris raised his hand again. The room quieted once more and he smiled. "Rest assured we will see to any information concerning the Hunters. I want to thank each and every one of you for your presents here today. Five years is not yearly enough. Hell, seventeen years is not long enough." I frowned and glanced up at him. What was that supposed to mean? "But these are matters for another time. The night is young and our cups are empty! Let us drink!"
His voice echoed around the Jall and the Lords all threw up their chalices and goblets and cheered to their Prince. I smiled. Emris was well loved by people.
Hali appeared beside us with wine glasses. She offered me a small smile and I nodded her my thanks and grabbed my cup.
"To my lovely wife and Princess, Nalia Halcro." I turned to face Emris, his silver eyes were on me, a soft smile on his face. "Long many she reign."
I felt my heart throb up into my throat. The whole room- every Lord and Lady and their companion- maids, servants, guards, errand boys- every single person in the room raised their glasses in salute to me.
"Long may she reign!" they echoed back at us. My skin crawled with uneasiness as the booming voices echoed back to me. I looked up at Emris.
Allies, he was explained. They knew about our engagement the day it happened. They know who you are-
I felt the blood leave my face. You mean they know everything?
Emris nodded.
I leaned back, trying to keep a calm and collected face. I felt sick. Emris traced his fingers around my wrist, warm and reassuring. Relax. This evening will go perfectly.
I chewed my lip and Emris shifted in his seat beside me. "Stop that," he breathed and I looked up at him to see his eyes bright and staring down at me. "Stop what?"
Before Emris could answer, Niko appeared at my side.
"Lord Melbourne of Star Hill, your Majesties." He bowed his head and the stepped back, his hand resting in the brand new, gleaming sword strapped to his hip. "On the matter of Summer Creat, Your Majesty."
I felt my head snap up.
"What?"
Lord Graven bowed before us. "Good evening, you Majesties, I must say you both look magnificent!"
Emris raised an eyebrow. "What matter of Summer Creat?" Emris demanded. Graven sighed and looked around the crowded room of Nobles. He cleared his throat.
"The newly appointed Lord of Summer Crest has taken to his sick bed, Your Majesty," Graven said in a loud voice. My eyes snapped around the room, watching as people leaned in, whispering. "Rumor has it, the young Lord has been crippled-"
I felt the blood leave my face. "I beg your pardon?" I asked in a low voice. Lord Melbourne glanced over his shoulder at the crowed behind him. He knew exactly what he was doing. And so did I.
"Lord Jon Crast has been crippled, my Lady-"
Emris cut him off. "You will show her due respect, My Lord!" he snapped, his voice echoing through the suddenly quite hall. "And I will not hear any more insults about the newly appointed Lord of Summer Crest! The matter is settled."
Lord Melbourne bowed his head. "My apologies," he said. "I mean no disrespect-"
Emris waved a hand. "This is not the first time I remind you of this!" Emris hissed at him. "Another show of any disrespect will end with your life!"
Emris and Graven stared at each other for long moment before Graven lowered his head in submission. "My sincere apologies, Princess," he said in a clear voice.
Emris leaned back in his throne, his hand coming back down to my hand, his fingers gripping my wrist gently. "Why do you care about Summer Crest?"
Graven glanced around. "As you well know, my family was charged with the protection of Summer Crest before the war-"
Emris nodded. "Before your father conspired against King Ambrose and tried to overthrow a King who was in mourning-"
I glanced at Emris. "What?"
Graven sighed. "Indeed, Your Grace," he said. "However horrible my past actions may have been, they were in the best interest of Azga and the Halcro line!"
Emris tapped his finger against his chair, thinking. I didn't understand what there was to think about. Graven just admitted to treason against a King he once served. My father. What was to prevent Graven from betraying his current King?
My unease caught his attention. Emris squeezed my hand, a wave of ease washing over me. I relaxed a little but this whole thing still bothered me. "What are you asking, Lord Melbourne?" I asked him. Everyone turned their attention to me now.
Graven sighed. "I'd like my son to take over responsibilities for Summer Crest!"
Emris scoffed. "Absolutely out of the question!" he said flatly. Graven looked appalled.
I resisted the urge to smirk at the stupid look on his thin face.
"Rumor has it, Lord Crast is a cripple and can no longer have heirs-"
I scowled at him. "My brother was attacked!" I reminded him. "He was wounded but not crippled-"
Graven nodded. "Yes- I went to Mosswood where he was being treated. They have little hope for a full-"
Emris stood to his feet. "That will be a quite enough of that!"
Graven's face turned sour. "I only meant-"
Emris' growl filled the chamber. "By insulting my wife?" he demanded.
"Make whatever preparations you need. You will be returning to Star Hill immediately. Your services are no longer needed."
I watched the blood drain from his face. "M-my Prince, I didn't mean to offend you!"
Emris shook his head. "You didn't," he assured Graven, who for a split second looked relieved, and sat back down beside me. "You insulted my wife! And I won't stand for that! Now get out of my sight-"
Graven shook his head. "Your Grace-"
Emris' eyes flashed white. "Leave. Now!"
Graven bowed deeply before us and back away slowly. We watched him leave the room and then Emris waved Niko to his side. "Make sure he gets the first ship out of the harbor. I don't care where the ship is headed. Graven will be on it! If there is none, take him to the dungeons."
I felt my mouth pop open. "Emris, he is a Lord of Azga," I whispered. He turned to face me.
"You point?" he asked me, his face impassive. I didn't like this. Sure, Graven had tried to insult me, but the insults were against my brother, not me. I leaned back, chewing my lip. The Lords and Ladies of Azga were in power because of the Royal Family. And the Royals were able to rule because the Lords and Ladies provided them with armies. Locking up one of them based off a verbal offense to a deformed wife seemed harsh. And a dangerous way to prove power.
"You disapprove?" Emris asked me in a low voice as his fingers snaked around mine. I shook my head.
"It's not that I disapprove," I assured him. "It just seems a bit much to be locking him up over an insult-"
Emris tightened his fingers around mine again. "He insulted you," he said in a dangerously low voice. "Something I will not endure."
We stared at each other for a long moment. "Emris, I don't know much about the world but I do know that if the Lords and Ladies pull their armies back you will lose their support- we just came out a war-"
He sighed. "Dark Fey are immortal, Nalia," he said as if to remind me. "A war would be easily won."
I sighed and pulled my hand away from him. "Yes, we'll, I lost my parents because cause of a war!" I hissed as I glanced back around the room. There were too many eyes on us for this kind of conversation.
"I don't want to lose my husband as well!" I didn't give him a chance to answer. I stood to my feet and turned to face him. I curtsied quickly and nodded for Hali and Niko to follow me.
"I need some air."
Emris didn't look pleased. He didn't answer. His eyes were biting with some kind of emotion I didn't recognize. I lowered my gaze before I turned away, the feeling of his mind wrapping around mine. He didn't say anything, his voice didn't echo in my mind. I grabbed my cloak from the nail by the door and slipped it on. It was too warm in here. To many people were staring at me and I didn't want to have to be judged under their gaze.
Emris had said these people knew who I was? They knew who my father was and that I was the exiled
Princess of Azga. My father was King Ambrose of Azga. How would the people of Azga react when they found out that the daughter of a former King- a threat to the current monarchy was the bride of their beloved Prince?
I stopped half way down the hall.
What would happen?
Emris didn't seem worried. He said he had plans. Plans that involved me staying alive. I was Dark Fey, a Moonblood.
I raised my hands, looking down at them. I needed to learn. More then just the ways of Court life. I wanted to learn more magic. I was Moonblood. Magic was inside of me. Emris knew that. Shaking my head, I continued on my war. Emris had said he would teach me himself but we hadn't really had the time. But what would people of the Court think?
My thoughts were beginning to circle again. "Nalia?"
I stopped by a window, a soft sigh leaving my lips as I turned my head to glanced at Hali and Niko.
"Leave us," I said and turned to face Emris. He didn't look happy. He looked rather angry. I felt my face falter a little.
"What?" He walked up to me, his hand catching mine and pulling me further away from the chattering echo from the throne room. "Emris?"
"My brothers ship has just been spotted coming toward the harbor."
I sighed. I had almost forgotten that Knox was on his way here. "He won't be here till morning. You don't have to receive him if you don't want to-"
I shook my head, noting his growing discomfort. "I know you said your brother ... has a way with woman, but he wouldn't dare- Emris I am and your wife-"
He nodded. "Yes, you are," he agreed and raised his hand to brush a stray hair from my face. "My beautiful, strong willed wife."
I couldn't help it.
My laugh echoed down the hall. "So your brother?" I asked him. Emris sighed and held out his arm to me. I wrapped mine through his and we slowly walked down the hallway.
"What Graven said about your brother-"
I shook my head. "It's fine-"
He pulled me to a stop. "No," he insisted. "It's not."
I shook my head. "Jon has no idea about his heritage. He didn't know. He is the heir to Azga, the next King- by all rights the throne is his-"
"Nalia, you speak of an uprising!"
I shook my head. "I have no desire to rule!" I assured him. "When the time comes I will step aside and return to Summer Crest-"
Emris shook his head. "That won't happen," he assured me.
I chewed the inside of my lip again, trying to think of every possible outcome if anyone ever knew the truth... "Emris, Jon is King by right- I can't-"
I never saw him move but suddenly his hands were on me.
One hand shot out locked around my neck, the other in my hair. Shadow covered his eyes- one second it was just his eyes and the next it was darkness- his sharp teeth gleaming in the dim light of the hallway.
"I love you and I don't want to hurt you," he whispered forcefully and I felt my face erupt with fire at his words and I felt my face go blank with shock. What? What did he just say? Never before had he said those words to me. His face didn't soften as he leaned closer, inhaling as his forehead pressed to mine.
"So I am warning you! Do not...bring this up again. Not in simple conversation. You speak of treason and I can't protect you from that!"
We stared at each other for a long second as his fingers trembled gently around my neck. His actions didn't frighten me one bit. He wasn't hurting me and he wasn't scaring me. But his words just now echoed in my mind. He said he loves me?
How?
When had that happened? How had it happened. My heart was racing and pounding in my ears and my lips felt dry. I watched his eyes roam my face for a moment, repeatedly landing on my lips. My heart hammered so hard against my rib cage it was almost painful.
Kiss me, I thought. Please kiss me!
His eyes narrowed at me and he dropped his hands and leaned away. I felt my heart sink and the feeling of anticipation and excitement vanished as his fingers slid from my skin. My finger twitched to reach for him but I forced them to keep still. We were not alone. It was in that moment that I realized that I had been feeling his excitement as well. His anger flushed through me, hot and sudden. I shook my head.
I opened my lips to speak but Niko appeared at the end of the hall and Emris lowered his head and stepped away, putting more distance between us then what I wanted. My hands trembled at my sides as I raised a hand to touch my neck. I watched Emris turn away and walk toward Niko.
"What?" he demanded.
Niko bowed his head. "There has been an incident on the second floor," he said grimly. I was to far away to hear their whispered. I unhitched myself from the wall and walked towards them.
"Whats happened?" I asked, looking between them. Both Niko and Emris turned to face me. "Hali was attacked," Emris said and I felt my heart drop. "Inside my Hall!"
I watched his face turn grim. "Niko, take Princess Nalia back to her room and then alert the Guard. I want this place locked down!"
I shook my head. "There is a whole Court-"
Emris reached and wrapped a hand around my hip. "Please go with Niko, I will send for you as soon as I know what is happening-"
I shook my head. "I'd really rather stay with you!"
Emris shook his head. "It's to dangerous- I won't have you hurt!"
I sighed. I didn't like this. I chewed my lip and looked down at my feet, trying to think of an argument to get him to let me stay. I couldn't come up with a reason good enough and he knew that.
"Go spread the word and have this place locked down. No one in or out until we know what we are dealing with!"
Niko nodded and vanished down the hallway. Emris reached up and touched my face. "I will send for you as soon as I am able!" he promised.
I sighed, still not liking or agreeing with this. Emris' fingers tighten around my wrist and he pulled me against him. "I will send for you as soon as it's safe," he assured me. I pressed my face to his chest, my heart racing.
"Your trembling," he whispered as his lips touched my forehead. I shuddered and my heart seared almost painfully. I couldn't stop the tears that brimmed my eyes. I felt his fingers find my chin, making me look at him. His eyes scanned my face, his expression calculating. I watched his eyes turn sad.
"Did I hurt you?" he asked me curiously. I shook my head and he smiled a soft smile. "I'm fine," I assured him.
Emris smirked, his lips curving into that devious smile. "You always say that," he reminded me with a soft sighed. Before I could say anything, Emris leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine.
This wasn't a want. This was a need. His passion, tangled with my own, stormed through me, brewing in my belly and chest. The fever and heat of it robbed me of all understanding. All I had now was longing. A starling, unapologetic longing.
My breath left me as his warm, inviting lips pressed against mine and my chest felt like it was about to burst. My hands were no longer my own. I reached up and fisted my fingers in his tunic and pulled him against me.
Emris groaned against my lips as my back hit the wall. A startle grunt left my lips as his arms caught me, holding me to him as my back scraped against the stone wall behind me. I couldn't breath, although I could breath just fine. I turned my face away and drew in a ragged breath as his lips traced down my jaw.
"This is becoming difficult," he whisper breathlessly. His hot breath washed against my lips, the taste of him making my mouth water.
Before I could think of what to say, there was a long drown out sound that echoed through the Manor. Lock down had officially gone into effect. Emris growled, the sound vibrating through him.
"Go," he whispered. His voice was rough, husky. I looked up at him, his eyes glazed over. "I will come for you when it is safe."
I nodded as he leaned away, still feeling dazed and he laughed an evil laugh at me. "Are you well?"
I nodded. "I'm fine," I assured him again and he laughed at me.
"Off you go then," he said and raised my hand to his lips.
I nodded and headed down the hallway, my heart racing and my mind abuzz at what had just happened.