20 Attack

Emris stilled, his body going cramped, ridged. We stared at each other, my heart pounding in my throat. "Stop?" he questioned me in a low, demanding voice. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. Longing washed through me and I shuddered. Emris sighed, his hands pulling me gently against him, his chest warm and welcoming.
Time seemed to have stood still.
I watched as fireflies, fade in and out of existence, dancing across the still waters of the lake. Emris lai beside me, his eyes closed and his breathing even. He was on his back, his hand I resting against his belly.
I stared at him.
How had I come to care for this fearsome, perfect demon? "You should be sleeping," he reminded me without opening his eyes.
I smiled. "I'm not tired," I told him.
Emris turned his head and opened his eyes to look at me. "How are you feeling?" he asked me as he rolled up onto his elbow to lean over me. His eyes scanned my face. "Did I hurt you?"
I shook my head as he pulled at the sheet, trying to look me over.
"Emris, I'm quite alright," I assured him. He looked down at me as his fingers circled around my wrist.
"I don't want to leave you hear," he told me. "We have spent more time apart then together since you boarded my ship."
I felt my cheeks warm a little. "I hadn't realized you would miss me," I told him and Emris laughed. "Of course," he assured me. "You are my wife."
He smirked a small smile at me. "Once Jon is found, I will return home."
Emris sighed. "I could stay," he mused. I smiled. I wanted him to stay. I did. But I didn't want him to neglect his duties either. He would still have to deal with that when I was gone. I forced a smile on my face before he could pick up on my thoughts. "I'd love that, but you already said you can't stay."
Emris leaned forward and pressed his lips to my shoulder. "Let us not speak of parting ways," he whispered as his fingers pulled at the cloak we had been using as a blanket. "I'd rather not speak at all!" His hands found my arms and pulled me against his chest. I sighed in content at how warm his chest was. Even through my dress, his heat burned my skin.
My arms slithered around him as he held me, his fingers tracing up my arms. His lips traced down my temple to the corner of my lips but Emris froze, his breath catching against my skin. Emris leaned away, his eyes going to the path behind me. I turned when I heard horses. "Someone's coming!" he hissed at me. I grabbed my cloak quickly and skipped behind the large willow tree, out of sight for my more then indecent exposure.
"Who goes?" Emris demanded as he snatched up his cloak. I peaked around the side of the tree to see Niko, his battle gear bloody and my heart sank. "We have found Lord Crast, your Majesty," Niko informed him. I felt my heart throb up into my chest as impatience washed through me. Emris dismissed Niko quickly and then appeared beside me. He reached and fixed the sleeves of my dress, a small smirk tugging at his lips. But Emirs seemed distant as he tied up the strings of his cloak. I had been able to hear the exchange between the two fairly well, but I didn't have enhanced hearing like some Dark Fey.
I slipped on my slippers and hurried down the narrow path with Emris at my side.
Niko and Hali were both waiting by the gate. "He was found near the Temple. Some passer by saw him and called for help," Niko said as we headed down the hallway.
"Any word on what happened?" I asked him. Before Niko could answer, there was a long, drawn out, agonizing scream from upstairs that echoed down the hall, causing my blood to run cold. There was a full second where I couldn't move, couldn't breath, where all four of us stood froze in the hallway- and then I was running, running down the hall as fast as I could. My slippers slapped against the old, worne cobblestone of the hallway, Maids and Butlers pressing themselves out of the way, against the wall as I herd Emris shout for them to make way.
I shoved the guards that were standing around the door aside as I burst into the room only to see my brother on the healers table with a chunk of his thigh missing. My breath left my lips in an uncontrolled sob of panic.
Emris came to a stop beside me, always a breath behind.
"What happened?" I demanded in a breathless voice. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach.
No one spoke. "Answer your Queen!" Emris snapped.
I turned my head to face him, caught off guard. Queen?
I'm sure I would be bothered by that later. Emris hadn't spoken much about what he had planned after his father died. And now, seeing my brother injured, it reminded me of the King. Who was frail and ill. I shook my head, trying to concentrate.
"He was found near the Mosswood temple and then porteled here by the Temple."
Emris shook his head, looking Jon over. "Will he survive?" he asked.
I felt my heart sink at his words. My hand went to my head. The head wound I received from falling off of Moon came to mind. I hadn't needed any medical assistance because the magic in my blood- my eyes snapped back to Emris.
"What did this?" I demanded. I didn't want to out Jon since I was unsure if he had Magic.
Emris glanced at Niko and the Guard beside him. "There are no monsters here in Summer Crest. I know this- I have lived here all my-..." I stopped, staring at my brother.
"Ready my horse and bring me my bow!" I said and turned away.
I wasn't going to stand here and watch my brother die.
"Nalia!" His voice pierced through me but I shrugged him off. "Where do you think are you going?!"
I didn't turned or slow my stride as I walked back to my room, Hali, Niko and Emris at my side. "Out to hunt down whatever it is that tried to kill my brother!"
Strong hands caught my arms, spinning me around roughly as I struggled against his hold with only little effort. "Whatever did this to Jon is still out there-"
I nodded. "Yes," I agreed. "However, not for long. I'm leaving to hunt it down-"
Emris shook his head. "If it did this to your brother, what do you think will happen to you if it crosses your path?" He asked me desperately not taking his eyes off of my brother. I could see the worry and doubt in his eyes.
I stared at him. "I'm going!" I told him. Emris sighed. "And if I ask you not to?"
I folded my arms at my belly. "You are my Lord and Husband and I will always honor and respect you," I reminded him and he smiled a soft smile. "However, he is my brother. My flesh and blood. Don't ever ask me to choose between you two. Because it will be him." And I don't want to hurt you!
Emris narrowed his eyes at me a small smirk creasing his lips.
"As you wish, Princess," he said and bowed before me. "Just know, I will hold you responsible for any and all injuries you get-"
I shook my head. "I won't get hurt," I assured him. "Summer Crest is my home. I can ride the whole island in a days time and be back for supper-"
Emris reached and pulled me closer. "Good," he mused. "Then you won't mind if I inspect you upon your return?" he asked me.
I blinked. "Inspect me?" I echoed confused. Emris smirked.
"Niko and a handful of guards are to go with you," he reminded me without answering my question.
I nodded and turned to face Hali. "I need my riding gear," I told her.
Hali nodded and curtsied before she hurried after Niko down the hall. I turned back to face Emris.
"You said upon my return?" I asked him. "Won't you be coming with me?"
Emris shook his head. "My ship leaves in an hour," he reminded me and I looked out the window. The sky was still dark, no trace of sunlight yet. I felt my heart sink and Emris stepped closer.
"Have faith my Love," he whispered. "We will be together again before the moon is full again."
That was in six days. I could handle six days.
"Not that long," I allowed sullenly.
Emris pulled me in and kissed me gently. "I will miss you," he told me.
I smiled. "I will miss you too," I told him. Emris smiled a cunning look coming over his face.
"Come see my off after your meeting with the guards," he said in a low voice. The look on his face was already telling me what he had planned. I swallowed. "I will be waiting on my ship for you."
"I will." My voice was soft as he pulled my hand up to his lips.
"Don't make me wait to long," he reminded me as his lips pressed to the top of my hand. Her offered me a small chuckle as he bowed his head at me and turned away.  I watched him walk away from me, a small smile curving my lips that slipped away as soon as he vanished around the corner. I held my breath, knowing he was still to close to hear or feel me. I struggled against the wave of emotion that threatened.The seconds ticked by and finally I breathed out a shuddering, slow and carful breath. I slouched forward a little, the weight of everything suddenly pressing down on me. Niko, standing to my left, stepped forward, his hand combing up to steady me. "Princess?"
I shook my head as he gripped my elbow. "I'm fine, Niko, thank you," I assured him. I wasn't sure what was wrong. I felt faint. "Gather your men in the den please. I'd like to go over the plan to search the island. I will be traveling to Mosswood-"
Niko stopped behind me, falling behind as Hali glanced over her shoulder at him. I stopped, turning to face him.
"Tracking right now is not safe your Majesty," Niko reminded me.
Before I could answer, one of his Niko's men appeared at the end of the hall. "The Lord is awake, Your Majesty," he said in a breathless voice. I felt my heart beat into my throat as I stepped forward to walk back toward the room Jon was in.
"I need to be with my brother right now," I said in a low voice. "Do as you see fit to find whatever did this."
Niko bowed his head. "My men will find it," he promised me. I sighed as Niko walked back down the hall.
I sighed and turned to walk to the library, away from Jon. Hali followed me, her face confused and worried.
"Is there anything I can get you, Princess?" she asked me.
I nodded my head as I walked into the study. "I need you to go to the kitchens and gather some things for me," I said as I grabbed a quill and piece of parchment. "And be as discreet as you possibly can. No one here knows of my bloodline and I'd like to keep it that way-"
Nalia shook her head. "What are you going to do?" she asked me is a surprised voice when I handed her the paper. Hali scanned the things I had written in the parchment and nodded. "Most of these things can be found outside-"
I nodded. "Yes, they can," I agreed. "But it's to dark outside to look for them now. Everything I need should be here in the kitchens."
Hali nodded and vanished down the hallway. One of the Maids was walking down the hall with bloodied sheets and I sighed. "Please bring fresh towels and sheets to Lord Crast's chamber as soon as you can."
The Maid curtsied and hurried away from me, down the hall. I sighed and stared at the door as I walked toward it. I could hear my brothers shallow breathing from with in.
Inside, Jon was still on his back, the missing chunk from his thigh had stopped bleeding yet Jon looked increasingly pale.
"We gave him Passiflora incarnate," the priest said from my left. "The dose is higher then what I would recommend because of the fever that still burns him, Your Majesty."
I stared down at my brothers pate face, covered in dried blood and dirt. "Will he survive?" I whispered.
The Priest glanced at his assistant who was wrapping my brothers torn arm. "Will he live?"
The priest sighed. "We are doing all we know how to, your Majesty," he promised. I nodded and walked to sit in the stool beside him.
"I'd like to try something," I said as Hali came back into the room, her hands full of dried herbs, oils and a water skin strapped over her shoulder. The priest narrowed his eyes at us. "You are not qualified to treat him-"
I nodded turning back to look at him. "Yes, I know but I have made tinctures before and perhaps this could help him-"
The Priest bowed his head. "With all due respect, Your Majesty, he has lost a lot of blood. He will not survive the night-"
I glared up at him. "Have you given him a coagulant?" I asked.
The Priest sighed. "I don't think-"
I shrugged. "Then don't!" I told him.
"I don't know enough of herbal medicine to help him so I need you to do all you can to save my brother!"
All of my studies and reading in the Vandarien library hadn't prepared me for any of this. I needed guidance. The Priest shook his head. "With all due respect, your Majesty, I am at the end of my knowledge of how to preserve his life- to put it simple- the wound is fatal, Princess, I'm sorry."
I glared down at the items Hali had set on the table. "Hali, take a horse from the stable and one of Niko's men and ride for Mosswood. Tell them who sent you and that I request a Healer."
The Priest shook his head. "The Healers no longer reside on Summer Creat, Your Majesty," he said and lowered his head. I felt my heart sink.
"Since when?" I demanded.
The Priest looked up at me, his face almost frightened. "Your Lord Uncle sent him back to the Capital just a day after your departure to Vendera, Princess."
Panic was staring to bloom in my chest. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to think. I could hear the harbor bell ring out, signaling a prepare for departure. My eyes snapped back open and I turned to the window closest to me. Emris was still here. Somewhere down in the harbor. Perhaps he could do something. "Ready a horse!" I demanded and turned to head for the courtyard. As I walked through the house, I couldn't help but feel like a stranger in the place I had spent most of my life. I hadn't missed it here one bit.  It was extremely uncomfortable. It would be to soon if I ever had to come back here. Even to see to my brother.

People were hurrying to seek shelter as dark clouds rolled into the harbor. Wind kicked up dirt and dust as I rode down the cobblestone path, glancing up and down the marina until I spotted Emris' ship. I jumped off of the horses back and hurried down the the boardwalk, the smell of salty sea, seaweed and fish filling my nose. Emris was standing talking to Niko, looking down at a price of parchment. Emris had his staff in hand, a black crow on his shoulder. His face was not a happy one. He seemed frustrated. He turned to face me as I approached, lowering the scroll in his hand.
"A storm is approaching," he told me when I came to a stop beside him. "I won't be sailing out until tomorrow or sooner if the storm passes quickly."
I couldn't stop the feeling of despair that filled my chest, causing Emris to wave Niko and Hali away. "Hiram sent the only healer on Summer Creat away the day I left for Vendera."
Emris sighed. "I am not skilled in healing magic," Emris admitted.
I couldn't stop the tears that filled my eyes now. "Then my brother will die," I whispered only loud enough for myself to hear. Emris reached forward and placed a finger under my chin, making me look at him.
"You could do it," he reminded me.
I shook my head casing him to drop his hand. "I can't."
"Why not?"
I looked back up at him, my face a little annoyed. He knew why. "I haven't a clue what I need or how to do anything!"
Emris frowned again. "Yes you do," he assured me. I couldn't understand him. "Your confidence in me is misplaced, your Majesty!"
"I'm sure Jon will be just fine," he assured me as his hand went to the back of my head. The same spot where I'd hit my head when I fell from Moon's back. I sighed as Emris smirked at me and wrapped his arm around my waist.
"We don't know that!"
Emris sighed and touched his lips to mine, in a brief and simple kiss. My lips burned with awareness, my body tingling in places they hadn't before. "Don't worry," he assured me. "If I am right, then Jon will be just fine."
My heart beat into my throat, causing heat to burn in my face and chest. His eyes traced my face in a slow, longing way, a way that made my bones tingle.
"You smell lovely," he whispered.
I smiled, feeling at peace despite my horrible reality around me.
"Lavender oils," I told him. Emris grinned against my lips as he pulled me against him.
"Devine," he told me.
But before I could answer, a loud horn sounded from the ship signaling the incoming tide to take the Ship to sea. "I have to go," he told me. "I will do what I can to send a Priest to Summer Crest as soon as possible."
I nodded. "I wish I could go with you," I said. Emris smiled.
"We will only be apart for a week," he reminded me. "Two at the most."
I nodded. "I had your things brought to the courtyard. I wasn't sure what you were doing bedroom wise."
I didn't miss the annoyed tone of his voice. "What is it?" I asked him.
Emris shook his head. "I'd rather you sleep under the stars each night then in that house," he told me. I sighed and looked down at my hands, knotted in his silk shirt, my wedding ring glistening on my forefinger. "I can't leave my brother," I reminded him.
Emris closer his eyes. "It was worth a try," he said, almost speaking to himself. I raised an eyebrow at him.
"Emris?"
He offered me once more smile before his lips pressed to the top of hand. "We should have dinner before I leave," he told me. I smiled.
"That would be nice," I told him.
Emris glanced up at the sky as big, fat drops of rain bang to fall from they grey, swirling mess above us.
"We should head back inside then," he said and glanced back at his ship. "Go on ahead and I will meet you there."
Emris stripped off his cloak and draped it over me. "Try and beat the rain," he told me.
I shook my head. "Won't you get wet?" I asked him and he smirked.
"I will be right behind you," he assured me. I nodded and followed Niko back to my horse. I pulled myself up into her back and headed back the way I had come. I was glad Emris decided to wait until the storm passed. I wasn't really ready to say goodbye yet. He said it would only be six days. I could handle six days. And I needed to figure out a way to help my brother.
"Niko, when we return, bring fire wood to the library," I told him.
I hoped I was up for this. "And I will need your help with some research."