<><><><>

Last 5 minutes of the game and we're up 4 points.

So I'm letting Allison take charge on this.

I know my teammates can see how fucking awesome she is so they won't disagree with my decision.

Coach called a timeout and we went to the bench.

I took my mouthguard out and acted like I was so tired. I looked at Coach, "I've been playing all game and I think my shoulder is messed up. I need a sub."

He nodded, "Your pick."

"Allison, center. O'Connor, left winger."

Allie stared at me, "What?"

I smirked, "Center. Go make a goal."

"But I-"

"You heard your captain! Let's go ladies! Go score some points!" Whittaker clapped his hands and everyone rushed onto the ice.

I just get to sit back and observe.

I watched as the refs made the incorrect decision to start on Gretna's side of the ice.

They played for the last five minutes without scoring but they did keep up the already great defense we had.

By the final whistle, Gretna had 2 points. We had 6.

The rest of the team skated onto the ice and congratulated the other team. Saying good game and trying to keep the smugness out of our voices was hard.

But we managed.

We took our skates off and went into the locker room.

I took off my sweaty pads and left my locker open so it wouldn't completely stink.

"Surprised, Nat." V sat back against her own locker, pads sitting on the floor. "Let the freshman play for you."

I shrugged, "She has potential. I think I'm gonna nominate her."

Riley's mouth gaped open from across the walkway, "Bold. She's only a freshman."

Izzie kicked her as she walked past, "Shows more promise than you ever have."

Riley glared at her, "Careful or you'll be sleeping on your own tonight."

"Barf." I picked up my shower stuff, "You guys are cute but keep it out of the locker room."

"We'll just do it when no one else is in here."

"Oh God." V grabbed her stuff and followed me towards the showers, "I heard from a little birdie that a little blonde Junior has a crush on you."

I rolled my eyes and pulled off my compression shirt and shorts, "Who's the junior?"

"Olivia Ramsey."

I snorted, "No kidding."

"Too bad you're not gay." Then she laughed, "That's a good one."

"Is it that obvious?"

Three other girls answered alongside her, "Yes!"

"Whoever said that is running laps on Monday!" I closed my eyes and washed my hair.

Quickly.

Because my friends are waiting for me to grab dinner with them.

I got out of the shower and changed, letting my hair fall into its natural waves instead of throwing it up in a bun or braiding it.

As I was putting my shoes on, Allie came to grab her bag out of her locker. She must have forgotten it, "Good playing, Allison."

"Thanks, Captain."

I smiled at her, "You realize you can call me Natalie?"

She shrugged, "Letting you get used to how it sounds for when you take over Minnesota."

I smiled harder, "Have a good night, Allie."

"You too, Natalie."

I finished tying my red converse and pulled my hoodie on. I was wearing a pair of Nike shorts but it's just cold enough outside to need an extra layer of some kind.

"There she is!" Yoda stretched his arms out and pulled me into a hug as soon as I made it out of the locker room, "Good playing as always."

"I appreciate it." I rubbed his hack and sank into the embrace. This is a really really good hug. I needed one of those.

Syd pat my back, "I was surprised when you through in the freshman but she played really well. Great call."

I nodded, "She has a lot of promise. She's probably gonna be better than me."

"Well, you did a great job too." Sydney squeezed my arm.

"Yeah, great job, Captain."

I glared at Mobius, "Do you want to continue playing football? Because I might have to break your arm."

He rolled his eyes.

"I'm sad you didn't punch anyone this time." Scarlett's amazing and wonderful voice came from behind me.

I spun on my heels to face her, hoping it wasn't too obvious how excited I was to see her. "You came!"

She pulled me into a hug, "I won't ever miss a game."

I took this moment to take her in. It's been days since we've been this close and part of me missed it.

Okay, all of me missed it.

"Wanna come over?" She whispered in my ear, "My parents aren't home so we can watch TV in the living room."

I pulled away, "I would love to."