Insecure

Tanjiro angst

"Hinokomi Kagura!" Tanjiro shouts, swinging his practice sword. Panting, he feels his body grow more and more fatigued.

"Tanjiroo! That's enough!!" Zenitsu whines, his sleeves covering his hands as Inosuke headbutts a tree.

"No! I must conquer this!" Tanjiro shouts back, swinging his sword again.

"Nezuko-chan!" Zenitsu chases after Nezuko in the shady area where they were sitting in.

Huffing, Tanjiro feels sweat dripping off his face, but he continues to shout "Hinokomi Kagura!" While swinging his sword.

Flames trail by, and he can successfully land an attack without feeling faint.

"Did you see that!" He cheers to Zenitsu, who was staring in awe at him.

"Yeah! It was awesome!" Zenitsu jumps up and down, his face excited.

Wiping the sweat off his forehead, Tanjiro decides to take a break.

Going to sit by Nezuko in the shade, Zenitsu comes up and sits by him, going on about how awesome Tanjiro is.

"It wasn't that impressive." Tanjiro shrugs, dismissing the compliments.

"Are you crazy!" Zenitsu puffs his cheeks out, and Tanjiro pokes them, making Zenitsu cry out.

"Sometimes." Tanjiro jokes, and Zenitsu laughs, catching Inosukes attention.

"Hey! What are you laughing at!?" He yells, and Zenitsu laughs harder, falling backwards onto the ground clutching his stomach.

"He's laughing at something I said." Tanjiro explains, standing up and walking away, going to change into clean clothes.

Folding his shirt into a neat square, he catches a glimpse of the scars on his hands and arms from his training and all of the sudden feels bad about them.

What if people think their ugly? Maybe I should hide them.. He thinks, and nods determinedly, looking for bandages.

Finding some, he wraps them around his hand and wrist, tying them off.

There. Now no one has to see these horrid scars. He smiles, and his face falls a second later.

What if Zenitsu remembers I have them, what would he think? He wonders, and puts on his haori, and walks back outside.

"Why do you have your haori on?" Zenitsu asks, and Tanjiro laughs nervously.

"No reason!.." Tanjiro rubs the back of his neck, smiling nervously.

"Take it off, you'll over heat." Zenitsu worries, crossing his arms. Tanjiro hesitates, before obliging, and taking his haori off.

Zenitsu spots the bandages, and looks at Tanjiro, concerned. "What happened?" He asks, and Tanjiro looks away.

"People probably think my scars are ugly, so I'm hiding them." He explains, and Zenitsu takes his hand.

"I think your scars are awesome! They show how hard you've worked and everything you've overcome!" Zenitsu smiles, and Tanjiro feels his heart skip a beat.