Chapter 14: Clashing Allegiances

In the peaceful realm where Coward's guild operated, war had always been a haunting specter, lurking on the edges of their daily lives. It was a realm where adventurers and titles often converged on the battlefield, their destinies interwoven with the fate of the kingdom they served. The guild of mercenaries, despite their penchant for pursuing profit, was no stranger to the call of duty in times of conflict.

One such conflict emerged when the disquiet of the oppressed reached its breaking point. In a remote mining town, where the toil of the people was devoted to extracting precious ores and gems from the earth, a rebellion ignited against an unjust lord. The noble in question, Lord Turmeric , was a peerage known for its cruelty and insatiable greed.

The people of this mining community had long borne the burden of their lord's rapacious appetite for wealth. They toiled day in and day out, their sweat and labor pouring into the vast tunnels and caverns that riddled the mountainside. But as the years passed, Lord Turmeric demands had grown increasingly oppressive, and the people could bear the weight of their suffering no longer.

One fateful day, as the sun cast long shadows over the mountain ranges, the miners put down their pickaxes and shovels. Their calloused hands, once accustomed to the tools of their trade, now grasped swords, spears, and bows. The rebellion against Lord Turmeric had begun.

Despite their lack of formal training in the ways of war, the miners were a formidable force, their determination and desperation fueling their fight. They had spent their lives toiling in the depths of the earth, and now, they emerged from the shadows, ready to reclaim their rights and dignity.

Lord Turmeric, a name that sent shivers down the spines of those who knew of his reign, had a reputation that was far from honorable. He ruled over a vast domain, his seat of power nestled within a foreboding castle that loomed over the countryside. Yet, his greed and ambition knew no bounds.

The lord had long harbored dreams of expansion and conquest, seeking to expand his influence over neighboring territories. To achieve his ambitions, he had assembled a private army that was as ruthless and unscrupulous as he was. This private army consisted of seasoned soldiers, mercenaries, and hired swords, all of whom were drawn to his wealth and power.

Lord Turmeric's private army was a formidable force, a menacing entity that enforced his rule with an iron fist. Their loyalty was bought with promises of riches, and their obedience was ensured through intimidation and fear. They were a ruthless bunch, known for carrying out their lord's orders without question, no matter how morally reprehensible those orders might be.

The mercenaries within this private army were a mix of veterans and opportunists, drawn to the promise of coin and plunder. Some had served in legitimate armies before, while others were simply seeking to make a living in a world that often rewarded the strong and ruthless. They were a diverse group, each with their own reasons for joining Lord Turmeric's cause.

For these mercenaries, it was common practice to lend their services to the highest bidder, regardless of the morality of their employer's goals. In a world where power and wealth were often synonymous, the line between right and wrong could become blurred, and mercenaries like those in Lord Turmeric's private army were willing to cross that line in pursuit of their own interests.

The Sword of Unity, a renowned mercenary guild within the Kingdom of Elysium, was not just a gathering of hired blades seeking riches. They held their principles dear, and their commitment to the welfare of the people ran deep. The guild was known for its unwavering dedication to justice and the well-being of the kingdom's citizens, a stark contrast to the common mercenary stereotype.

When Lord Turmeric's request to hire mercenaries for his private army reached the ears of the Sword of Unity, they were quick to reject it. The guild's leaders, wise and principled individuals, knew that such an alliance would go against everything they stood for. They could not, in good conscience, lend their strength to a lord with a reputation as tainted as Lord Turmeric's.