Chapter 11: The Unspoken Hero

Defeated monsters in the Kingdom were not just left to rot in the wilderness; they were a valuable resource that was meticulously harvested and utilized for various purposes. The process of handling a defeated monster's carcass was a well-established and regulated system within the guilds and the Kingdom's economy

Butcher's Expertise: The first step in the process was to summon skilled butchers who were well-versed in monster anatomy. These experts were trained to extract valuable materials from the carcass without damaging them. The choice of butcher was crucial because a single mistake could result in the loss of precious resources. 

Carcass Preparation: The monster's carcass was laid out on a specially designed and reinforced table to prevent any injuries to the butchers. The size of the table would vary depending on the monster's dimensions. For a colossal creature like the Shadowclaw, an exceptionally large table would be required. 

Material Extraction: Various parts of the monster's body were harvested for specific purposes. This included the hide, bones, teeth, and claws, all of which were valuable for crafting weapons, armor, and jewelry. The tougher hides were sent to tanneries for processing. 

Magical Core Removal: The most prized possession of a defeated monster was its magical core. This was the source of the creature's supernatural abilities and contained immense magical energy. Specially trained magicians would carefully extract the core using precise incantations and enchanted tools. 

Brain Preservation: The monster's brain was another vital organ. It was preserved and sent to the research department of the Kingdom for further study. Monster brains were known to possess unique properties and were used in various magical experiments and potions. 

Carcass Disposal: Once all valuable materials had been extracted, the remaining carcass was typically incinerated or disposed of in a manner that would not pose a threat to the environment or local wildlife. This step was essential to maintain ecological balance. 

Pricing and Auctions: The extracted materials, especially the magical cores, were put up for sale in guild auctions. The price fetched by these materials depended on several factors, including the rarity of the monster, the quality of the materials, and the current demand in the market. 

Processing Guilds: Various guilds specialized in processing monster materials. These guilds employed skilled craftsmen who transformed monster hides into leather, bones into weaponry, and teeth and claws into decorative items. These processed products were highly sought after.

For a monster as rare and formidable as the Shadowclaw, the harvested materials, particularly its magical core, would indeed fetch an exorbitant price. Such a find could significantly bolster the coffers of every' guild who presents it, making it an even more lucrative endeavor for its members. The process ensured that even in death, these monsters continued to contribute to the Kingdom's economy and the well-being of its people.

Coward's victory over the Shadowclaw was nothing short of miraculous. The monstrous creature had been a legendary terror, a being so fearsome that no one in the history of the Kingdom had ever emerged victorious against it. Its defeat should have been celebrated far and wide, a testament to the indomitable spirit of a mercenary who bore the moniker "Coward the Horrible."

However, Coward was not one to revel in the spotlight. As the news of his triumph began to circulate among the members of the guild and the Kingdom at large, he felt a sense of unease. He couldn't escape the feeling that his lowly name was undeserving of such an extraordinary achievement. It wasn't just his victory; it was a victory for the guild, for his comrades who had aided him in his time of need.