Chapter 13: Beneath the Surface

Start from the beginning

But Merida's resolve remained steadfast. She saw through the empty gestures and recognized the true intentions behind Lord Thornebrook's advances. Her heart belonged to her duties and the children she cared for, and she had no interest in the advances of a man who could not understand the purity of her devotion.

As the days passed, the situation became increasingly uncomfortable, and Merida's rejection seemed to fall on deaf ears. Lord Thornebrook's relentless pursuit of her affections would soon lead to a disturbing turn of events that would threaten the peace and sanctity of the orphanage.

 Lord Reginald Thornebrook, a man whose reputation was as tarnished as his desires were unholy. Lord Thornebrook was known for his insatiable appetite for pleasures of the flesh and a penchant for collecting women as if they were rare jewels in his possession. His wealth and power allowed him to indulge his every whim, and he often sought to add to his collection of exquisite wives and mistresses.

It was Merida's modesty, her piety as a nun, and the air of purity that surrounded her that had initially drawn Lord Thornebrook's twisted attention. Her role as a guardian of souls had fascinated him, and he found himself lusting after the idea of corrupting one who was meant to be incorruptible. To him, it was a perverse challenge, a conquest of the most sacred.

And so, he hatched a vile plan. Lord Thornebrook plan to kidnapped one of the children from the orphanage, a young Halfling named Lira, innocent and full of positive energy. He believed that by forcing Merida to submit to his desires, he would shatter her vows and sully the very essence of her being. It was a dark obsession, one that he had harbored for far too long.

However, even in his secluded retreat, Coward could not escape the troubles that seemed to find him. Upon hearing the commotion and sensing the desperation in Merida's cries for help, he crashed through a window with the force of a hurricane. His muscular frame burst into the room like a vengeful deity, his fists clenched with a righteous fury.

Without hesitation, Coward unleashed a powerful punch that struck Lord Thornebrook squarely in the jaw. The force of the blow sent the vile lord sprawling, his grip on Lira loosening. Coward's arrival was like a bolt of lightning, a defender of the innocent, and his actions spoke louder than any title society could bestow upon him.

In that moment, Coward had become a force to be reckoned with, a protector of the vulnerable and a guardian of those who could not defend themselves. 

Sirus, the Abider of the Law, arrived at the scene just in time to witness Lord Thornebrook being unceremoniously propelled out of a window, landing with a resounding thud but still very much alive. With a practiced stride, he made his way to the orphanage, his authoritative presence a calming force amid the commotion.

Relief washed over Sirus as he saw Coward the Horrible standing near the distraught Halfling child and a comforting nun. It was clear to him that Coward had intervened in a situation gone awry. Without a moment's hesitation, Sirus saluted Coward, a gesture of recognition and respect for the man who had prevented a potentially grave incident.

Sirus spoke with a calm and measured tone, acknowledging Coward's presence and the need for his account of the events. "Coward the Horrible," he said, "I will take Lord Thornebrook into custody and ensure that justice is served. I would appreciate your account of what transpired here when the time is right."

With a nod, he turned his attention to Lord Thornebrook, signaling that the time for accountability had come. In his role as the Abider of the Law, Sirus was committed to upholding justice, and his actions were guided by a sense of duty and fairness.

Approaching her, Coward learned of the troubles that plagued the orphanage. Funds were scarce, resources were limited, and the future of those under her care hung in the balance. He listened to her words, her voice a mixture of weariness and determination. The orphans she cared for were like family, and the burden of their well-being rested heavily upon her shoulders.