Ch. 15

Barry Allen, Caitlin Snow, and Cisco Ramon found themselves standing in Star Labs' time vault. The trio was captivated by the advanced technology of the news article displayed before them.

"Cisco read in shock, "Flash missing vanishes in crisis."

Barry continued reading, "After an epic street battle with the reverse flash, our city's very own scarlet speedster disappeared in an explosion of light."

Caitlin directed Barry's attention to the date, saying, "Barry, look at the date."

Barry read it slowly, "April 25, 2024. Guys, when I fought the reverse flash at Christmas, he said that we'd be fighting for centuries."

Caitlin hesitantly questioned, "Wait, you can't really think that this is from the future?"

Cisco began to express his thoughts, "That would mean Doctor Wells, or whoever he is, is also..." but Barry interrupted him, stating definitively, "from the future."

Cisco shared his admiration, "I have to say, I'm really digging the brighter red suit and the white on the symbol- that's dope." However, he quickly raised an intriguing point, "Wait a second, suppose we now change the color on your suit. Will it be because we got the idea from this picture? That would mean we're living in a causal nexus. Wow, this is so trippy, like Marty and the polaroid trippy."

Caitlin countered, capturing the attention of both men, "Not as trippy as the name on the by-line."

Barry's voice trembled as he uttered, "Iris West-Allen."

Confused, Cisco responded, "Mazal Tov?"

"Hebrew," a robotic voice answered, startling the trio. "An ancient language of the Jewish people." The three of them looked around, trying to locate the source of the voice.

"Uh uh, what the hell was that?" Cisco exclaimed, scanning the room.

"Is someone here?" Barry asked, searching his surroundings. "Hello?" A virtual face appeared where the article once was.

"Good evening, Barry Allen."

"Uhh," Cisco stammered.

"H-hi, you know who I am," Barry said, placing his hand on his chest.

"Of course, Barry Allen. Director of Central City Police, CSI Division," the robotic voice responded.

"Woah, you got a promotion," Cisco remarked to his friend.

"Also known as The Flash, founding member of-" Barry interrupted the virtual being.

"What are you?"

"I'm Gideon, an interactive artificial consciousness."

"A.I., sick!" Cisco admired.

"You know Doctor Wells," Barry continued.

"Yes."

"Do you know who he really is?" he inquired.

"I don't understand the question."

"I-I mean, do you know what he's doing here? W-why did he come here?" The A.I. transformed from just a face into a full-bodied projection.

"To kill you."

"Wells is in the building," Cisco said, checking his phone.

"How do you know that?" Caitlin asked.

"I put a tracker on his wheelchair. If we're wrong about him and he is paralyzed, I'm going to hell for that one. He's in the cortex. Ask questions quickly," Cisco urged.

"Why did he kill Nora Allen?"

"Because he was angry."

"About what?"

"That you escaped."

"He's on B level, he's coming this way," Cisco rushed.

"What does he want from me?"

"For you to become The Flash."

"Maybe that's why Wells let the particle accelerator explode, so that you could become The Flash," Caitlin chimed in.

"Why? I mean, for what reason?" Barry pondered aloud.

"Guys, we have to go. He's almost here," Cisco panicked.

"Barry," Caitlin called out.

"Alright," Barry said, turning to leave.

"Wait a second, wait," Cisco intervened, stopping the others. "What if Hal over there tells Wells that we were in here?"

"That would be bad," the auburn-haired woman stated.

"If I can access its operating system, maybe I can disable its memory core."

"Gideon," Barry called out to the A.I., "can you show us where your operating system is?"

"Certainly." The trio stared in awe as the operating system appeared alongside the artificial intelligence system. Cisco let out an awkward laugh.

"Yeah, nope. That's not gonna happen."

"Guys, he's in the corridor," Caitlin panicked.

"Gideon, could you, like, just not tell him we were here?" Barry asked as a last resort.

"Of course, I will accept any command given to me by you." Barry looked at the computer, confused.

"Barry!"

"Come on, we have to get out of here."

"Wait. Wait. Why? Why would you accept my commands?"

"I was created by your sister, Ayana Snart," The A.I. informed, "I was programmed to override any command given by your sister, her husband, or yourself."

"M-my sister?" Barry stuttered.

"Yes," the A.I. replied with emphasis.

"My sister's name is Ayana Allen."

"No, Barry Allen. Your sister married Leonard Snart on January 20th, 2016."

"She married who?" Cisco exclaimed.

"Snart," the A.I. said knowingly.

Barry rubbed his temples. "That is insane! Leonard Snart kidnapped her! Why would she marry him?"

"The same reason all soulmates marry," Gideon explained.

"Soulmates?" Caitlin echoed.

"Yes, Leonard Snart and Ayana Allen are soulmates."

"Barry! We gotta go now!" Cisco demanded.

Taking one last glance at the A.I., Barry grabbed Cisco and Caitlyn, leaving the Time Vault.