Ch. 9

Ayana despised traveling by train. Being crammed into a space with unfamiliar faces was thoroughly discomforting. She hated that the train was moving at over 100MPH and couldn't stop instantly, like in a car. The inherent risks of train travel were not appealing either. The unpredictability of train journeys was something she was experiencing first-hand as she observed Leonard Snart and the newly minted 'Flash' in front of her.

"You can't escape," announced a man in a red suit, taking a kneeling position.

"I didn't see you before," Leonard Snart remarked, sending Ayana's pulse racing.

'What's the hell is wrong with me?' She chastised herself mentally. She utilized this opportunity to observe the criminal more closely; he was outfitted in a bulky blue parka, dark trousers, and some goggles. His demeanor was one of confidence. He was no novice.

"Does your mom know you're out past your bedtime?" The criminal taunted, pointing some weapon at his adversary. To Ayana's surprise, the 'Flash' responded with a grin.

"If you wanted to get away, you should have taken something faster than a train."

"That's if I wanted to get away," retorted Snart, his audacity palpable. Ayana discreetly reached for her firearm, attempting to get the attention of Central City's latest superhero. But she missed the fleeting alarm on their faces at her sight.

"I've seen your weakness at the armored car, then at the theatre. See, while you're busy saving everybody, I'll be saving myself." Then he fired his weapon at the train floor, causing it to frost over.

Ayana's eyes bulged, 'What sort of weapon can do that?' She wondered. She couldn't find an answer. As the train reluctantly started decelerating, Ayana struggled to maintain her footing on the jostling train.

"Good luck with that!" A voice echoed as the train's lights started to flicker.

"Everyone, please remain calm!" She yelled, knowing it was in vain. People began disappearing as the train car started to topple until she was all alone. Within moments, she was sprawled on the ground next to the man in red. Then she heard the familiar sound of Snart's weapon discharging. She felt the onset of panic, but instead, she felt oddly peaceful. 'What's happening to me?' She questioned as the ice weapon hit the Flash.

"Pretty fast, Kid," Snart's voice reverberated in her ears. "But not fast enough."

"Thank you." Ayana swiftly rolled over and sat up, collecting herself, her heart pounding in her chest. Startled, she hadn't expected Leonard Snart to be so close. Her mind raced with curiosity and apprehension as she tried to steady her breathing.

"For what?" The Flash grunted, evidently in pain from Leonard's weapon.

"You forced me to up my game." Ayana tried discreetly reaching for her holster, only to find her gun missing. "Not only with this gun but with how I think about the job. It's been educational." Ayana watched as a man and two women stealthily approached Leonard from behind, carrying a large gun-like device.

"Drop it."

The man commanded, powering on the large gun-like device. "This is a prototype cold gun—four times the size, four times the power.

"I was wondering who you were talking to," Snart told the Flash.

"Hey, unless you want a taste of your own medicine, I'd back the hell up," the man threatened.

"Your hand is shaking; you've never killed anyone.."

"There's a first time for everything, Captain Cold." Ayana moved slightly closer to be able to hear the Flash.

"Does he make names for everyone?"

"Pretty much," Ayana took a deep breath, stifling her laughter; she wasn't ready to deal with 3rd-degree frostbite.

"I will shoot you," the man holding the large gun-like device warned.

"You win, Kid," the criminal conceded, much to Ayana's surprise, "I'll see you around." With that, he turned and started to walk away.

"Leave the diamond!" The man holding the device shouted, his voice trembling.

"Don't push your luck," Snart retorted, brushing past the man.

"Thank you," The Flash said, being helped to his feet. Ayana sat there as the group conversed, trying to make sense of the recent events.

"Hey, are you okay?" The Flash asked in a distorted voice.

"What? Oh yes, I'm fine. Just trying to wrap my head around all this," Ayana replied, pulling herself up. She scanned the ground for her missing sidearm.

"Is this yours?" Ayana looked up to see her gun in the hands of a familiar face.

"You're Cisco Ramon, part of the S.T.A.R Labs team that looked after my brother," Ayana exclaimed, surprise evident in her voice.

"Yeah, that's me," he responded, scratching the back of his neck nervously. Ayana was about to ask why he was present but decided against it. After tonight's events, she had no energy for more questions. She spotted the familiar red, blue, and white flashing lights in the distance.

"Unless you want to be taken into custody," Ayana said, looking at the man in red, "You and your friends should make yourselves scarce." He nodded in gratitude.

"Oh, and Flash," she added, looking over her shoulder to ensure he heard her, "Thank you." He offered a smile, then vanished.