31 | The Reply

Time passed.

Her head stopped aching at random times, a side effect of the concussion, and her nights became dreamless; without the nightmares that had plagued her for the past month and a half.

The security had been increased around the palaces, though the royals were trying to keep the news quiet, so as to not alarm the citizens and not alert the rest of the kingdoms that something was amiss in the island kingdom.

Mitravinda had approached her one day, asking her what she was interested in.

"Kanha would have asked you himself, but it seems he's too shy."

The words were said with a touch of fondness and a hint of teasing.

"Natha, shy of me?" Lilavati clarified, though a smile sprang to her lips. It was hard to not smile in the presence of fortune personified.

Mitravinda laughed. "You may ask him that, not me. He's not keen on sharing!"

Lilavati giggled, and then put thought to her elder sister's question.

"What I'm interested in... I don't really know, Jiji. History and politics seem interesting, because you can trace patterns of thoughts and actions throughout the years, and politics simply because I don't understand what goes on in the palace most of the time. I'd like to help Satyaa Jiji and maybe Natha."

Mitravinda studied her and nodded.

"It is a wise choice. Say what, I can ask Rohini to tutor you in these two fields. She has a keen eye for politics and loves history anyway."

Lilavati nearly gaped at her.

"Jiji, I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time—"

"You're not wasting anyone's time, Lila. It is our duty and our choice to help you find what interests you. Life would be boring otherwise, and you have a long one ahead of you."

Lilavati caught Mitravinda's eye, and the latter's gaze seemed to shimmer with something unreadable before it smoothened into happiness as she agreed.

"I'll tell Rohini then, and she'll either come to you with a time or send a dasi! Have fun!"

And here, Rohini, the chief of the junior wives of their husband stood in front of her.

The wheatish-skinned woman stood with all the learned grace of a princess and queen, but there was a faint brittleness to her poise that caught Lilavati's eyes. Brown eyes that appeared nearly black in the shadows of the room sparkled with joy, but there was a hardness to her gaze that spoke to years upon years of trauma that never really healed or went away.

She was dressed in orange shades, uncut gems glinting at her throat and ears, catching the golden sunlight and appearing a deep ochre against the yellow rays. Rohini wore an easy-going smile, but the way she clasped her fingers together told Lilavati that she was as nervous about this meeting as she herself was.

"Raani Rohini," she greeted, her head bowed. "I am endlessly grateful you took time out of your busy schedule to meet me."

The junior queen's smile widened, now appearing more genuine.

"It seems like Achyuta was indeed right when he described you as demure. Not that he'd ever be wrong, but it is always relieving to see his predictions true in person."

Rohini took a step forward, hesitating for only a fraction of a second before closing the distance between them and clasping Lilavati's hands in hers.

"I don't like formality. Most of our family calls me Dvitiyaa, you can call me that."