28 | The Garden

This dream, it seemed, straddled the border between nightmare and mere dream, and Lilavati opened her eyes, blinking at the ceiling.

She shook her head and rose to sit down, staring at the bed and hugging her knees.

Time passed in silence. The angle of the moon rays shifted and she tossed and turned, trying to find sleep. When it was clear she would get no more sleep, she let out a frustrated huff and resigned herself to staring at the ceiling.

"Anything wrong, Lila?"

Her husband's low voice drifted into her ear and she nearly started, calming herself at the last second. She shifted her position enough to look at Krishna, and lo, he was awake.

"I can't sleep," she confessed breathily.

Sympathy softened his expression. He rose and took her hand, interlacing their fingers.

"Do you want to go for a walk?"

Lilavati nodded. Her husband smiled, rising from the bed and offering his hand to help her stand up. She accepted it, and they walked hand in hand to the gardens.

"Let me show you something."

He guided their path, and it struck her at how easy it was to fall into step with him, walk and breathe in the same rhythm as her lord.

They walked into a garden.

There was something different about this garden... in a good way.

The indivara and amphala lotus blooms poignantly floated upon a sapphire pond as gumusservi shimmered on the crystalline waters. The blushing hibiscuses and thorny beguiling roses swayed flanking the gated lawns of the Shriyas who held the heart of Murlidhara. The earthy aroma of petrichor and enticing jasmine beckoned her like a bee and Lilavati was pulled in the lands of utopia. Each of the flora was wrapped in an orphic magic paired with the moonlight that embraced and enthused her in a way that could only be Dvaravati—her husband's solace. Her own too.

Krishna noted her observation, and smiled, squeezing her hand.

"This garden belongs to my beloveds," he began softly. "Each and every plant you see here has been nourished by their hands, growing up in their maternal shelter. Most of the plants here were sown by Bhamae herself, and being Dharani herself... is it really a wonder it is so beautiful?"

His voice teetered on the edge of reverential there, and her heart felt like it would burst with the love her husband held for his Priyaas.

"It is unlike anything I've ever seen, Natha," she whispered.

"Kanha."

She looked at him in surprise. His smile was like a freshly uncurling lotus, soft and vivid.

"Call me Kanha, Lila."

Lilavati bowed her head.

"I can't—not just yet."

"Then I will keep insisting until you do," his smile had gained a teasing edge.

She smirked lightly. "I'd like you to try, Priyatama."

It was worth it, letting that alien term of endearment slip her lips to see him flush a dark red, if only briefly.

"You've clearly learned something from your elder sisters."

"I have," she agreed, enjoying the easy banter between them.

They sat down on the cool, dewy grass, staring up at the stars in silence, hands intertwined.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Lilavati saw Krishna watching her carefully as he uttered those words, gauging her reaction.