16 | The Women's Council

Lilavati was simply wandering the gardens of her palace when three figures strode into the area she was in, as she sat and caressed the red leaves of a plant.

As soon as she recognised the women, she rose and bowed.

The queens Satyabhama, Mitravinda and Nagnajiti had come to her.

"Come, we have no time to waste!" There was laughter in the voice of Satyabhama that reminded Lilavati of the rumbling of the earth.

Mitravinda tossed Lilavati a colourful blur, and she caught it, nearly missing it. When she looked questioningly at the women, Nagnajiti laughed as well.

"Lilavati may have been forbidden from leaving this palace, but Arunaa is not! Hurry! Go change and meet us here!"

Still confused by the turn of events, she obeyed Nagnajiti and rushed into a room. Unfolding the bundle that the princess of Avanti had tossed to her, she saw a red cloth, of a coarser texture than what she was used to wearing in the palace but was quite used to during her previous years. Quickly changing into a saari, she then came out.

The wives of Krishna gave her a quick once-over, and then Nagnajiti pulled a cloth over her head, hiding Lilavati's features from direct view.

While she was doing this, she must have noticed the confusion on Lilavati's face, and she whispered, "We're taking you out to see Dvaravati properly, Lila. We sisters thought it would be a nice experience for you to see how the kingdom is run."

Lilavati nodded then, and followed the three queens as they began walking. She adjusted the makeshift hood around until it was comfortable enough but did not let others recognise her unless they got upfront into her line of view.

Her awe that filled her to the brim was just the same every single time she saw the city of gates, as they passed by temples, fields, buildings and people walking by. She noticed the people recognising their queens and joining their hands to greet them, some merchants calling out their fares in the background. She also noticed the curious gazes of the people on her form, but Lilavati kept her head down so as to not let others know of who she truly was.

"Maharaaniyon!" They were stopped by the call of a man who sat on a bullock cart.

"Yes?" Mitravinda asked, even as Nagnajiti drew Lilavati closer to her by her hand as though she was a child, but Lilavati found that she did not mind it, but rather the opposite.

"I know my bullock cart may not be as fine as the palanquins you travel in, my queens, but I still wish to be able to serve your lotus feet by you travelling in my cart, wherever you wish to go," said the man humbly, head bowed and hands folded.

Satyabhama smiled gently as a mother would to their child, and raised the man from his bowed position.

"We thank you for the offer, Arya, but where we travel is not too far from here. We will manage."

The man bowed, slight disappointment glimmering in his eyes but his devotion to the queens shone more prominently.

Lilavati did not know what to think of the gesture, stunned as she was at the devotion the queens—her elder sisters—commanded. And yet they were so modest.

Just like Natha, said a voice in the back of her head.

Of course they'd be just like him, they are his Sahadharminis, and they are one.

They continued on, and soon, amidst the reddening rays of the sky and the sun as he lowered to the other horizon, they walked a few secret paths to enter a clearing.

Lilavati raised her head to take in the sight.

Twelve thrones were placed in such a way that they appeared in a semi-circular formation around a raised platform. The trees waved in the wind in the dying rays of the sun, and a few torches burned, women who appeared to have been trained as soldiers standing behind the thrones, a sword sitting proudly in its scabbard on their hips. There was a vast gathering of women.