04 | Lives Intertwined

Lilavati could not remember how she arrived here.

The blazing fire was the only source of light in the darkness, and even those flames illuminated just the small mandapa and a few paces around it, brightening darkened grass so sharp that each of them stood out like a sharp dagger.

The chants of the priest filled her ears, and she snapped to attention as she heard the mellifluous notes of the voice that was her Lord's. He invoked the gods Soma, Gandharva and Agni to bless her, and he met her eyes and unlike the previous times, there was no fire untempered in his gaze but his whole attention on her both elated and unnerved her at the same time.

Krishna took the mangala sutram proffered by the priest, and he murmured a mantra in a form of Samskruta that seemed as old as the universe, as it lay glinting in his palm.

Then he was tying it around her neck with all the expertise of one who was used to tying and removing necklaces—the practice of which she supposed he got from his mothers and wives—and the ghost of his touch on her skin made her frame shiver slightly.

It came to rest between her breasts and she touched it with a faint sense of reverence lightly, hardly daring to believe what was going on.

"—place your right hand on the bride's, to proceed with the pani grahanam, Vaasudeva."

She let her hand rest on her thigh and his own placed on hers, and he chanted the mantras after the priest, invoking each god and beseeching them to bless his bride with good qualities. Lilavati closed her palm, her lips mouthing a prayer that this not be a dream and that her Lord—her groom—be forever blessed.

He rose and she followed suit, standing to the right of the sacred fire that burned low but bright, and she stood level with his height, placing her open palm in his outstretched right hand. A million thoughts ran through her mind yet there was an overwhelming sense of peace in his presence that bestowed itself on her.

"The bride shall lead the groom for the first three rounds, and then the groom must lead for the four rounds after," instructed the priest, and he firmly grasped her hand and her fingers tightened on his, unwilling to let go for fear that the sight before her would dissolve and she would wake up to find it all a dream.

"O life-nourisher, with your food and drinks, I request that you nourish my parents, guests and offspring with food. I, as a form of Vishnu take this first step with you."

"Yes, I promise to nourish each of whom you consider family, safeguard the food you earn and prepare it to sustain you," she promised hoarsely but firmly.

"O lady of skill, with your purity and intellect, you will enable us to be prosperous and happy. I as Vishnu take this second step with you," he stated softly, following her.

She pledged her promise and the five more rounds went on in swift but surreal moments.

"O my eternal friend, let us take this last step as equals, this Saptapada, this friendship together each step. Please be my beloved."

"Yes, today I gained you," she was shedding tears now, dabbing swiftly at the corner of her eyes "I have secured the highest kind of friendship with you. I will forever remember the vows we took sincerely and with all my heart."

The pradhana homa proceeded, saluting and invoking the gods a second time and thanking them for blessing her and her Lord. She murmured the chants with the priest.

Lilavati almost giggled at the sixth vow as her husband—her husband!—asked IndraDeva to bestow him and his wife with ten children and for him to become the eleventh child of his bride when he became old.