23 | Dueling With Satyabhama

She felt every woman's eye on her as she and Satyabhama fought, striking and parrying.

Satyabhama's voice was little more than a breathy whisper as she said, "Breathe, Lilavati. You must be aware of your opponent more than your surroundings, but be aware of both at the same time."

Lilavati took her instruction to heart as Satyabhama backed away, her sword glistening in the sunlight. She ignored the women watching her carefully and studied her lord's warrior wife.

She breathed heavily as she watched Satyabhama.

The third queen of Krishna was seemingly lax, her poise relaxed, if it were not for the slight frame of tension that seemed to hold her body stiff. Her lips were curled in a smile that had a small edge of a smirk, and Lilavati's eyes drifted to her neck.

She recentered herself.

This was not a struggle for life—in some way, yes—but Satyabhama had chosen her to demonstrate to the women of Dvaraka self-defence, and Lilavati had been chosen in particular because she had some... experience.

There had been a wry smile on Satyabhama's face as she had explained her reasoning.

Lilavati had had to hold in her giggle at that.

But now, she positioned herself, took a deep breath and moved towards Satraajiti.

Satyabhama did not move from her relaxed stance until the last second, until her sword flashed and parried Lilavati's attack. They began to fight again, but this time Lilavati was studying Satyabhama closer, looking for an opening, a weakness.

The two of them moved in a near dance, Satyabhama gracefully deflecting her moves and countering them with attacks of her own in the motion of a warrior who had many years of practice.

Eventually, Lilavati thought she found an opening, but frowned momentarily as she noticed Satyabhama's movements. It was as though Satyabhama had left her left flank unprotected as she fought, as though she was doing it on purpose.

Lilavati could see the satisfaction on the warrior queen's face as she processed all of this, and then she made a split second decision to attack her through that opening.

Her sword flashed in the sunlight again as the blade darted inwards, and it took some force for her to push Satyabhama's blade outward, and Satyabhama let her push it out of her hand, and it clattered to the ground.

There was a smattering of applause from the women.

Lilavati stood tall, breathing heavily for the exertion.

Satyabhama smiled, and said softly, "Congratulations, Lilavati."

Lilavati frowned, and then asked, "Jiji, why did you leave your left flank unprotected? You taught us that we must seek to protect every part of our body from injury if possible."

Satyabhama laughed, and spun on her heel to address the women and her alike.

"That is a wonderful question, Lilavati. I left my left flank unprotected because an enemy may seek to do that at times. By leaving one part of their body unprotected, they may seek to deceive you from any attack or move they may be planning. If you are hyper-focused on that one weakness, you may not notice the enemy's other moves until it is too late. Does anyone have a guess at what other moves the enemy might make when your focus is directed?"

There were calls of some answers from the crowd, and Satyabhama nodded and acknowledged the answers, while correcting some.

Lilavati asked again, "Jiji, why did you let me win?"