Chapter 28 - The Endless Dream

Start from the beginning

Dottore smiles at the sixth harbinger's compliance to his plan and adds, "I swear that I will keep my end of the deal also, mostly out of pure curiosity. That is key for finding wisdom, no?" He smiles a very fake smile, eyes betraying his disapproval of the Akademiya and the Grand Sage, but if the latter notices, he doesn't show it.

The elderly head scholar clasps his hands together to signal the end of the discussion. "Very well then. See you both in two days' time at 2 pm sharp. Don't be late or the deal's over; I'm a busy man and don't have the time to wait for you. I'll give you this pass with my signature on it. It'll give you access to my room again when the day comes. Goodbye," the Head Sage explains and curtly shuts the door in their face.

Il Dottore's face is one of clear annoyance, but he steels himself and suggests heading back to see what Y/N is up to.

Meanwhile, two hours earlier, Sumeru City, Y/N's POV
...

"Wow, there's so much to see here in the City. From a distance, it looked so small but it's so lively here, like Liyue City near the port."

I abruptly stopped walking, recalling what happened that fateful day. I think I still somewhat hold it against Scara for kidnapping and drugging me, but then I wouldn't have grown as close as I am now with Childe and Scaramouche.

Besides, he's different now. He cares a lot about me and we're pretty much official now.

With that, I found reassurance and comforted myself with the thought that even if I was kidnapped, I would be rescued by my lover.

Wandering down a descending pathway, I soon found an entrance to a secluded area. From behind the door, I could hear music and lively laughter, so curious to see what was behind, I pushed open the doors.

I was not prepared for what I saw next.

Everywhere I looked, merchants were calling out to the passersby, enthusiastically advertising their goods and best deals. It was a very simple yet very enchanting festival environment. I guessed that some event was happening soon. I decided to ask around to figure out what was going on.

"Excuse me," I said to a woman shepherding two kids to the clothing stall, "could you tell me where this is? It's very lively here and I was wondering if I'm interrupting some festival or such. It's my first time in Sumeru, you see."

The woman turned around and flashed a bright smile. "Oh no problem at all! This is the Grand Bazaar, where all sorts of goods are sold. Feel free to shop to your heart's content; the prices here are pretty great! Especially around the Sabzeruz Festival, which is coming tomorrow. Nilou, the main dancer in the festival, is already hard at work with her team making sure the stage and everything is prepared. It's very important everything is perfect. After all, the Sabzeruz Festival is celebrating Lesser Lord Kusanli's birthday!" she explained.

"Oh okay, thank you. Enjoy your shopping; I think I'm going to buy some things too." Pausing, I noticed the lady held four shirts in hand, clearly contemplating which to buy before I interrupted her with my questions. "And I think the blue one would look very pretty with your little girl and the red one for the boy," I suggested amiably.

"Thank you very much. I was wondering how I could choose between these four," the woman gushed, then took out her wallet. I assumed she did so to pay the vendor, but instead, she held out a handful of elaborately carved coins I assumed to be Sumeru currency. "Please, take this as a thank you. It's not much but keep it as a token of appreciation for your help."

I shook my head and gently pushed her hand away. "No, I couldn't. I didn't do much," I stated. When she kept insisting though, I accepted the money, thanked her, gave a head pat to both her children, and put the coins in my pocket. Well, at least now I have money to buy stuff from the bazaar.