Chapter 15 - Enslaved By Fear

Y/N's POV

Knock, knock.

"Who is it?"

"Y/N, the Tsaritsa asks that you come to the throne room immediately for an emergency meeting. I'm to deliver you to the room and then leave so you and Her Majesty can converse privately," a voice I immediately recognized as Childe answered. I rolled my eyes. Why did I have to do what the Tsaritsa wanted? I wasn't actually one of the Fatui. I was forced to become one against my own will.

As if reading my thoughts, Childe continued, "You should come, Y/N. You're in enough trouble as it is."

Was he trying to threaten me?!

Sighing resentfully, I got out of bed and straightened my hair and clothes out of habit. Then, feeling ready enough to go out of my room and face Childe and the Tsaritsa, I took one last breath of courage and stepped out.

Just as I had expected, Childe was standing outside of the doorway, patiently waiting for me.

"Ready?" Childe asked, and I nodded, not feeling like speaking.

Taking note of your silence but not saying anything about it, Childe led the way to the throne room. Once we reached the double doors, Childe reached out and pushed open the door to reveal the grandiose, spacious throne room.

"Your Majesty, I've brought Y/N, just as you requested," Childe spoke up, and the Tsaritsa's voice, coming as usual from her throne, simply flicked a hand in a gesture to say "leave".

"What do you want with me?" I demanded to know. It was the first thing that came to my head. Why was I so valuable? What importance did I hold to the Tsaritsa or the Fatui? I'm nobody special.

The Tsaritsa let out a soft laugh. "Y/N, Signora has told me all about your superior skills when she met you at the Cathedral that day. Your potential is no short of promising, that much is clear. The question is, what are you willing to do with it?"

I opened my mouth to respond, but couldn't find the answers. The Tsaritsa did bring up a good point. For some time, I had begun to wonder if there could be something more than working in the Knights of Favonius. Every day was the same as the next. That's why I'd joined Lumine on her journey. For adventure. To try something new. But now that I'd ended up here, it seemed that if I managed to escape, Lumine and I would be on different paths from now on. I was alone, confused, and scared.

What am I willing to do with my powers?

"Do you think the Traveller or the Knights could ever satisfy your desire for more? They can't, Y/N. They are mere mortals. I, meanwhile, am an Archon. I can help you become the strongest warrior Tevyat has ever seen! If you join me, agree to stay a part of the Fatui, you could become stronger and learn more than anything any mortal could ever teach you! You may even get to become a Harbinger like Tartaglia," the Tsaritsa exclaimed as if reading my thoughts.

"I don't care about that kind of stuff," I finally spat out, but I was dismayed to realize that there was little truth behind the statement.

The Cyro Arachon raised a thin eyebrow at me and remarked, "You're not from Tevyat, are you, Y/N?"

I let out a little gasp. How could she tell?

"Hmm, I thought so. Y/N, listen to me. I can help restore your homeland. I can help save Khaenri'ah! Just stay in the Fatui and work with me to restore Tevyat in my vision and you may see your family again! Think about how happy your brother would be, how proud your parents would be, that you saved your people, your nation!"

My chin quivered slightly. However tempting it was, I knew better than to trust this archon. She was trying to manipulate me, and I wasn't going to let her win.

"Never! You and your Fatui have demonstrated over and over again that you will go to such big, cruel extents to get what you want. You don't care who gets hurt along the way, just as long as in the end, you win. I will never be a part of an organization like that. Never," I responded with finality.

The Tsaritsa narrowed her eyes at me, showing clear anger. She closed her eyes as if she was attempting to calm herself down, and then opened them again.

"Dottore! Bring in the archon residue!" she shouted, and I winced at the loud noise.

As if he had been waiting just outside the double doors for this command, the blue-haired man I immediately recognized as Dottore rushed into the throne room and handed a vial of glowing yellow-brown dust to the Cyro Archon. Smiling, she took the vial from Dottore, and he used his electro power to stun me so I couldn't move, then forced my mouth open so that the Tsaritsa could pour the dust into my mouth.

As the invisible binds holding me in place released, I mistakenly swallowed the dust. Instantly, I started shaking all over, not from the cold, but because of a strange force that awakened a horrible monster inside me, wailing and beating my body until I couldn't feel or think properly anymore.

Screaming out in pain and agony, I fell to the icy cold floor, hands on my head, willing for the feeling to go away.

"Take her to her room to settle down. Don't give her any sedatives. They'll ruin the residue," the Tsaritsa ordered.

"Yes, your Majesty."