Chapter 24 - Truth Revealed

Y/N's POV

What in Celestia had I just done? 

I banged my head on my pillow, trying to severely scold myself for making such a stupid decision. However, the only thing I got was a slight headache, as pillows are generally quite soft, especially the ones at Zapolyarny Palace.

After screaming into my pillow for a few seconds, I flopped onto my back and sighed. I couldn't turn back time. If I could, I would make sure that I never made that decision.

It was so stupid of me! So, so stupid! When I hesitated, I should have realized. I should have realized then that I didn't have to make this kind of choice. Joining the Fatui Harbingers...

DISGUSTING!

What would Lumine think of me?

Kaeya?

Diluc?

Oh but... they are all just figments of your past. The person you once were. That's not who you are now, is it? Who cares about what they think? They can't control you, an unpleasant voice in my head said.

Funny, because that's exactly what YOU are doing right now: controlling me! Making me do the stupidest things! What exactly do you have against the Tsaritsa that you want to use me so badly?  And can't it be someone else? Why me? Why do you have to torture me like this?

Don't you see, dear Y/N? I chose you because with my help, once the Tsaritsa is eliminated, your homeland will rise again. I promise. When a goddess makes a promise, she doesn't break it. At least, most goddesses do. The Tsaritsa... just broke promises. She's selfish and cruel.

Was it you planting those negative thoughts into my head about the Tsaritsa and the Fatui, then? You seem to hate her so much.

Hahahahaha...

Of course not. That's your thoughts. You and I are on the same page here, don't you see? We both don't trust the Tsaritsa to the point that we hate her. With my help though, I can help you expose her secret. Isn't that what you want? To know why exactly that archon is doing such evil, cruel things to innocent people? Stealing gnoses from the other archons?

Well... yes...

Great! Then I suggest you get used to having me around. I'm not leaving until both ends of our promise are met.

Childe's POV, three days later

...

"Did you hear, ginger boy? The Tsaritsa has called another meeting. It must be about the next gnosis, in Sumeru," Signora piped up randomly over breakfast.

"Hmm?" I replied, not fully registering what she was saying. I was too engrossed in my thoughts.

Shortie Scaramouche had told me the other night about Y/N's sudden outburst and their strange behavior. It was completely understandable, and I had that doubt sometimes as well. The Tsaritsa had never revealed anything about her plan more than the fact that it would change Tevyat for the better. I just believed her because she was the one who saved me from the Abyss. She helped me have a better life.

But something just didn't add up. Why would they decide to take on the position of Fatui Harbinger only to rant about it and regret it afterward? It didn't seem like a very smart idea. And Y/N was smart.

"Hello? What in Tevyat are you thinking about that you're zoning out on me like that, Tartaglia? At least show some decent respect and listen to me when I'm talking!" Signora reprimanded.