26. Don't Ever Forget

Começar do início

I sit down and become mesmerized by different patterns in the cracks of the street. Memories of Kinsley rush to the front of my mind.

Flashback- Elijah (13 years old)

"It's so weird how many patterns you find in the world," Kinsley smiles, holding a leaf in her hand.

I hold out my hand, and she places the leaf in my palm.

I analyze each and every line connected to each other in strange directions. It reminds me of a tiny tree that discarded its clothes for winter.

Kinsley shoves her hand in my face, "Look!" she exclaims.

I look down and see trillions of lines in her hands, thin, unique, and narrow crevices that form her skin.

"It's awesome! It's like we're a tree or like we're a leaf," she giggles.

I smile, "You're smarter than I was at ten."

"Not true, you were smart too. Don't say that, you have to treat yourself with love too," she pouts.

"Okay! I'm sorry Kins, I meant that we are both smart."

She smiles at me with her teeth showing. Her last baby tooth is missing, waiting for her adult one to replace it.

She made me pull it out for her because she was too scared to do it. We sat there all night trying to pull it. Every time I was about to pull it out, she would push me away.

I hold my arms out, she immediately hugs me, wrapping her arms around my stomach, squeezing as hard as she possibly can.

"Kins," I gasp, "I can't breathe."

She laughs, "Sorry."

Letting go of me, she goes to grab two more leaves from the ground. "One for you, and Dal."

I take the leaf she gives me, and put it in my pocket for safe keeping.

We sit on a bench, looking out at the view.

The sun is burning, the birds are flying, and everything is awake.

I hear a family behind us. The kids are telling their parents about a new comic that came out, and how they'll get all their chores done if the parents get it for them.

"Please mom!"

"Fine, but you better promise you guys will get them done, you've both been slacking the past week."

"Thank you! And I promise I'll do them."

"Yeah, me too, thank you mom."

"You're welcome."

Kins looks at me, "Do you think if we had a mom and dad, if they'd get comics for us?"

I look at her.

She's only three years younger than me, and yet, she's filled with much more hope.

"Maybe," I lie.

"I think they probably would," she sighs. I stare at her. "Yeah, I think they would too," I lie again.

She looks out at the sky, "I wonder what our parents look like."

I look towards the sky too, "Well, they have to have blonde hair, at least one of them."

"What do you think their names are?"