Telling The Kids

9 Months Ago

HAYLIE POV

      I still have a smile on my face as I pull out of the clubhouse gates. I can not believe how good Ink and my conversation went. I know we both were mad at first but we were able to forgive each other. We talked about the past and how we can both be involved with the kids going forward. I told him funny stories about the kids and showed him photos. I could tell it hurt him that he missed so much but at least we are willing to try to move past all the hurt.

    I am nervous and excited for him to meet the kids. We agreed that I would head home and talk to the kids and Ink would follow in an hour.  Ink would spend time with us while we pack and get ready to head back to the clubhouse. I am so nervous that I have to pull over and puke twice before I pull into the driveway.

    I sit in my car in the driveway for a few minutes before I walk in to relieve Bea, my fifty-year-old neighbor who watches the kids for me. Once I am confident my nerves won't make me puke more, I walk in and greet everyone. “You are home earlier than I expected. Everything alright?” Bea asks. I know she has noticed my demeanor and paleness. “Yeah, all is good. I saw Luke today. He is going to come over soon to meet the kids. We are going to stay with him for a bit to let them get to know each other. I am hoping with me there too it will make the transition easier,” I respond. Bea nods in understanding.  She was my mom's neighbor for the last thirty years, so she knows who Luke is and the whole situation. “I think that will be good for you and them,” Bea comments. I agree. She fills me in on the kids and that dinner is ready and waiting in the oven before excusing herself to head home.

    The triplets come running in,  sounding like a herd of elephants,  when they hear Bea leave. “Mommy you're home. We missed you,” they say in unison.  They do that a lot. Lucas notices my tears first, “Mommy are you okay?” he asks. I smile because it sounds more like otay. “Yeah,  mommy is okay. I saw your daddy today and he is going to come here to meet you soon. He will eat dinner with us and then we are going to pack a few things to stay with him for a bit. You will get to meet his family and friends. Doesn’t that sound exciting?” I ask with a smile. “Weally?” Layke asks. “Really,” I smile and respond. She and Laila squeal and jump around. Lucas still is watching to make sure I am not upset. The triplets were born prematurely and have been behind on all of their milestones but are catching up quickly now. I love how, sometimes, their words sound slightly off. Once, Lucas decides all is okay he joins his sisters in the excitement.