Prologue

10 Months Ago

HAYLIE POV

      Whoever wrote that song about how you can’t go home again was wrong, you can just maybe you shouldn’t.  I know, there are a million and one places I would rather go than back to my hometown. Back to the place where I lost my heart and where it was shattered.  I just hope I won't run into Luke or whatever he goes by now.  Okay, so I know his club name is Ink. I hate it as much as I hate him. I want to hate his club too but it’s not their fault he is an asshole.

       So here I am with the most important people in my life heading back to my own personal hell.  “Momma are we almost there?” Lucas asks.  “Yeah, sweetie we are almost there,” I respond. “Will we get to meet Daddy, now?” Layke asks. “Yeah, Mommy we want to meet Daddy.  You said he still lives here,” Laila pouts. “I will see what I can do to make it happen. Your daddy has been really busy with the family business but he loves you and I am sure he wants to see you too. Anyone hungry?” I ask changing the subject. I point at the sign for McDonald’s. I know my babies love Happy Meals and they will distract them from the current conversation.

     After the joyful yes from each of the triplets, I pull in and help them out of their seats. I even let them play in the playhouse while they ate, knowing it would stop the daddy conversation even more. I feel the usual guilt welling up in my gut and throw the rest of my food away. I know I need to tell Luke about our kids but I just can't seem to do it. I am sure when he finds out he will hate me as much as I hate him. I am not sure my heart can handle that. God, I am such a bitch. I think,  then my pride argues, “He cheated, he didn’t want you. He won't want them. Do you really want them to see their dad with a different woman every night?” Nope, I am saving them from the heartbreak that Luke brings, I lie to myself.

     The week flies by quickly, I buried Mom in a quiet ceremony two days ago. I got most of her house cleaned out. I donated a bunch of stuff to a local women’s shelter and put some things away for the triplets for later. Today I am meeting with her lawyer. “Hello, Haylie. Good to see you again. Your mom told me you are a lawyer now,” Jack declares. “Hello, Jack. Yes, I am a lawyer now. It’s good to see you again also. I think I have done all Mom wanted me to accomplish with myself and her stuff. Now just need to hear the will to be sure,” I say quickly. “Well, your mom left you the house, no surprise there. She wants her clothes donated to the local women's shelter and she left ten thousand of her savings to the local animal shelter. Again,  no surprise I am sure. She left you, your great-grandparent's wedding set for when you get your head out of your ass and marry that man. Her words, not mine,” he lets out.  I giggle despite the tears that slip out. Typical, my mother had to throw that in. “You okay for me to continue?” Jack asks. I nod and wave for him to continue. “Your mom left your grandparent’s wedding set for Lucas for when he marries. She left Layke and Laila her two sets and your dad’s also.  As you know they had just renewed their vows before he died so there are two sets. She states that the girls can decide who gets which set when they are older. She wants you to put away some knickknacks and mementos for the kids. Her doll collection is to be split between the girls. Your dad's model car collection is for Lucas. Your dad's old Harley goes to Lucas since he has always loved it. The convertible goes to Layke and the 56' truck goes to Laila. Your mom's new car is yours. She left your dad's old Indian motorcycle to Luke Butler. She wants you to give it to him when you are ready. The rest is their savings and checking, all of that other than the money left for the shelter is yours. That totals 250 thousand. Now, I don’t know your plans but if you need help selling the house, I will do that for you,” Jack states. “That won't be necessary. I am staying here. The house has been in our family for three generations and I am making it four.  Princeton is no longer my home, hell,  I don't think it ever was. Mom always wanted me to come home and now I am. I just wish I would have done it while she was still alive,” I declare crying.

     Jack comes around the desk and hugs me. “It will be alright,  Haylie. Do you have a job lined out?” he asks. “No. Not yet. Everything seems to be moving at warp speed since I got the call about Mom,” I reply wiping my tears. “Well, now you do. I need a partner and another lawyer here. It is yours if you want it,” Jack proclaims. I eagerly accept. We talk some more about Mom and the job. I am excited for the new start. “Well,  sweetheart,  unless your sentiments about being around Luke and the club have changed,” he starts.  I interrupt stating they haven’t changed. He then lets me know I better go then.  Someone from the club will be here soon to pick up some paperwork. I thank him for the job and agree to start the next week.

     I have to stop myself from sprinting from the office and showing just how much of a coward I am. I get outside and reach my car when I hear and see a motorcycle pull in. I nearly stop breathing but can not force myself to leave until I see who it is. The guy stands and removes his helmet and I let out the breath I have been holding. It is just Knuckles. I hurriedly put the car in gear and left before he could see or recognize me. Yes, I am a coward.