30| The Ceremony

Začať od začiatku

      "What?" Lyn said breathlessly as she looked up at him. Her heart seemed to pound in her ears.

      "It all happened so fast, I'm—I'm not even sure I have everything right." Wedge shrugged with a sniffle as he roughly wiped his red eyes. "I just know he saved me, I was in shock for most of it after....but it's....it's my fault he died." Tears fell as he then looked at her, making his expression falter at the sight of her. "What? Wh-What's wrong?" His body fully turned towards her as he wiped his eyes.

      "...it wasn't your fault..." She spoke lower than a whisper as she stared at the platform floor. She brought her knees close to her as she wrapped her arms around them tightly.

       "I don't think you heard me, Lyn..." Wedge said squeezing his eyes shut as he turned his head away. "He died saving—"

"—it was mine..." Lyn voice broke as he looked at her. "H-how many comrades have I led to death?" She let out wearily holding her head with trembling hands. "Bren—if I hadn't chased Vader, he'd still be here....instead I chased him and Bren's dead and Vader is still out there..." Lyn felt the tears fall. "It's...all my fault—everyone...it's all my fault." She didn't dare to look at Wedge as she buried her face into her knees.

Wedge's mouth slightly opened as he then looked away wearily. Blaming himself or Lyn blaming herself, helps no one. Seeing his friend break woke that up inside of him. Blaming anyone doesn't change anything—everyone was still dead despite everything.

      Wedge took in a deep breath, hoping his voice wouldn't betray him.

"Nobody knows for sure..." Wedge let out as he placed his hand onto her knee. "It-it could be yours, mine, the Rebellion's, the Empire's—it doesn't matter whose fault it is..." Wedge spoke moving closer to Lyn to hold her shoulders. "...everyone is still dead no matter where the blame is placed."

Lyn looked up from her knees, her hands immediately shooting to her eyes to wipe the wetness away.

"We can believe that we're to blame as much as we want to and feel shitty about it for the rest of our lives.....or we can move on and realize the days that pass are the ones they fought and died for." Wedge offered a weak smile as Lyn leaned forward to hug him.

The two stayed embraced with each other knowing each of them needed it. Though a hug could only do so much, both knew it meant something, that they were not alone and shouldn't blame themselves.

"Thank you..." She let out as Wedge nodded into her shoulder before breaking away.

"I started this domino affect, It-It was only best I fix it." Wedge said as the two moved to sit at the edge of the platform once more. "I think I've rubbed off of you for doing a speech like that." He let out as the two weakly laughed.

"It was good, Wedge." Lyn spoke as she patted his back. "Maybe you'll speak to everyone later for the ceremony." She said making him scoff.

"Please, I was lucky enough not to stutter in front of one person..." He shook his head as he soon sighed from looking out onto the hangar. "You know you were right," Wedge looked at her. "This wasn't the place to do this.....look over there by the crates." He nearly muttered the last part.

Lyn froze as she looked down to see a man quickly turn and walk out of eye shot. Her hand left Wedges back and she gripped onto the railing.