Ch.5

'But what if Tomioka gets removed from the corps?'

Shinazugawa Pov
I don't want Tomioka to be removed from the corps, but someone needs to know. Kocho? She could help, but she might tell the master. I was so frustrated, I wanted to help Tomioka but I don't know how to without making it worse.

"Forget it I'm going to Kocho!" I slammed my fists on my desk out of frustration. It was late so I would have to wait till morning if I was going to Kocho.

"That damn Tomioka, tch" I got up and went to bed, I hadn't slept alot since the Tomioka incident.

Kocho Pov
I was talking with Aoi when I heard Shinazugawa knock on my office door. "Ara ara~ Aoi can you let Shinazugawa in?" Aoi stood up and opened the door for Shinazugawa, whose hand was already on the door handle.

"Ah! Shinazugawa! How nice to see you." I said with a cheery smile. Shinazugawa stayed silent, and  looked at Aoi. "Ah, Aoi could you give me and Shinazugawa some privacy?" "Of course!" Aoi smiled at Shinazugawa before leaving the office room.

"So, what brings you here Shinazugawa?" Shinazugawa sat in one of the chairs in front of my desk, he looked worried? "It's about Tomioka." This caught my interest, Tomioka?

"Ara ara~ did you talk to Tomioka? Find how much you care for him~" I said in a teasing voice, I looked like I didn't care but I was actually worried for what Shinazugawa was going to say next.

"Yesterday, I went to the cliff you told me to go to." Oh? I didn't actually expect him to go there. "Tomioka was there to..." he continued, his voice getting softer. "Tomioka was trying to take his life."

This shocked me, Tomioka? Why would he- no, I know why. I always have, I just never did anything about it. Tomioka was like a little brother to me, I felt like it was my responsibility to protect him. And yet  I couldn't even save him from all his sufferings.

I wasn't fit to help him mentally, I only knew how to heal people physically. Why hadn't I done anything before? Why was the only thing I did was take away his sharp objects. Why didn't I comfort him? Was he going through all of that by himself?

How had I known about his self-harm problems and still let him suffer alone? Was I really this dense? This useless? How had I not noticed his suffering?

I felt tears prick at my eyes, I was still in shock. "I-is he okay!?" I practically yelled at Shinazugawa with worry. "He's fine, I caught him in time. B-but I don't know what to do, we can't tell Oyakata-sama about this." Can't tell Oyakata-sama!? What the hell did he even mean!

"Shinazugawa, we have to tell the master. This is serious, Tomioka needs help." "Well why can't you help him!" Shinazugawa stood up from his chair and looked at me angrily. "The master will remove Tomioka from the corps!"

Remove Tomioka? Shinazugawa was right, but I can't just let this go like nothing happened! He needs help! Help I can't give, but...Tomioka can't be removed from the corps. I know this is the wrong choice, but I agree with Shinazugawa.

I looked up to Shinazugawa who seemed to have calmed. "I..." I took a deep breath, rethinking my decision. "I agree" Shinazugawa looked surprised but relieved. "But, Tomioka needs help." I said sternly, I think I know who can help Tomioka.

Shinazugawa Pov
I was shocked when Kocho actually agreed, but also relieved. I saw tears in Kochos eyes when I told her what Tomioka tried to do, and I don't blame her.

Then I heard Kocho say something, "But, Tomioka needs help." "Yeah, but you can help with that right?" "No" Kocho sounded a bit sad or guilty? "What- what do you mean no!" "Shinazugawa, please lower your volume we have patients here."

I hadn't even realized I raised my voice, I was gonna apologize when Kocho interrupted me. "Shinazugawa, you are the only one who can help Tomioka." I was taken aback by those words, I'm the only one?

"What do you I'm the only the one." I said, trying to sound demanding. "You are the only one Tomioka will let get close to him. He distances himself from the other hashira, but he actually tried to interact with you"

I never noticed how I was the only one Tomioka payed attention to, he always made me ohagi, only for me. Why did he try to befriend me? Was I just special? No, that's ridiculous, but why would Tomioka only talk to me?

"Why does he try? Why am I the only one he makes an attempt to talk with?" Kocho just smiled, she really irritates me sometimes. "Cause he finds you interesting Shinazugawa, you're lucky you know? Everyone else is almost invisible to Tomioka, except you"

This made my heart flutter, I felt a slight blush on my cheeks. It felt like I was the only one who mattered to Tomioka, like I was his whole life. But of course, that was only a feeling. But it felt great.

"Ara ara~ Shinazugawa finally noticed how much you care for Tomioka~"