I ignored her and just walked out of the room, with my Pumpkin trailing behind me, hissing a "hey, come back here."

I knew exactly where my grandmother would be at this time of the night.

She had company.

She would be making bread.

I headed straight for the kitchen and found her, doing exactly that.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" she asked me as soon as she saw me walk into the room.

No point in beating around the bush. "Grandma, can Lexi sleep in my room?"

I heard my girlfriend's loud gasp beside me. I almost snorted.

"Blake Eaton, don't be doing naughty things under my roof," she laughed, unbothered.

"Nothing naughty, promised," I replied, pressing my palm against my heart as a promise.

"You better," she said with a smile, and patted my cheek over the counter. "Now go sleep you two," she whooshed us away.

Lexi did not comply with that instruction, because she looked absolutely shocked.

It was nice for a change. I was always the one being shocked at something her shark of a father said. It was time for her to be shocked at my cool grandma.

I told her goodnight hurriedly, and grabbed Lexi's hand, dragging her back to my room.

I thought she was going to argue with me a bit more, but as soon as the door was closed, she crawled into my bad.

I grinned and joined her, turning off the lights.

I kissed the top of her hand, snuggled in her arms. This was much better. "So? My family wasn't so scary after all?" I asked softly.

"No, they're all really nice. I think I was mostly nervous because your father is usually such a serious person, so I guess I kinda thought it would feel like that surrounded by his family," she whispered.

"Yeah, I think my father was always a bit more serious. And I also think my grandparents had a lot of plans for their children and that it meant a lot of pressure back then. It's more chill to be a grandparent."

"I guess you're right," she replied, brushing a hand against my chest.

"I was thinking about that earlier too. How grandpa always feels so approachable and how my own father doesn't always feel like that. But I guess the dynamic between them was different before, and that made my dad the way he is."

Lexi took a breath, and then asked gently. "How is it? With your parents now?"

"It's getting better," I admitted.

"It's a little weird that they're not here today, right? I mean, who needs to work so close to Christmas?"

She wasn't wrong. But with therapy, I had a better understanding of my family's dynamic now.

"People who are still running away from their problems."

"It's hard for them to come back here?" my Pumpkin asked.

I held her a little bit more tightly in my arms, her head tucked under my chin. "Yeah. I think my father regrets not staying here. If we would have stayed here, Jayden wouldn't have gotten into the accident. And I guess my mom feels guilty at the same time. For wanting to stay close to her own family instead of here. It's just... lots of guilt. And it's an emotional time of the year, regardless."

I took a pause. Lexi stayed quiet, like she knew I needed to courage to work up what I was about to say.

"It's... it was Jayden's death anniversary two weeks ago."

I felt my girlfriend kind of freeze in my arms. "Wait, what?"

"Yeah..."

She shifted in my arms, looking in my eyes. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I stared at the ceiling, and not in her eyes because I didn't want to cry. "We never really talk about it at home. We usually try to act as if it wasn't happening. We act like it's a normal day. But yeah... It's always a difficult time of the year."

We'd gotten better and better, every year, at acting like everything was okay. At acting like that day as like any other day.

Better at hiding, but feeling worse and worse every year for it.

"I'm so sorry Blake," Lexi said, and kissed my shoulder, trying to comfort me. I smiled, a little sadly at her. "Do you want to talk about him?" she asked.

Did I?

"Yeah..."

So, in the comfort of the night, in the closest thing to my childhood bed, I did. 

___________________________________

Happy Wednesday my little Pumpkins? :')

Soooooo sorry! I was sure I had scheduled this post, and the last few days have been a little hectic. My sister is about to give birth (it's her third kid) but she just got covid and it's gonna make everything complicated, and aaaaaah. I'm also working more again. :') So yeah. I didn't check. I just realized my grave error. I hope I shall be forgiven. XD

Anyway! Yeah. Gonna go now. (Did you read the Jay & Josh chapter? Did you like it?)

Alright! Leaving! Byyyyye! See you on Monday this time. XD LOVE YOU GUYS.

Little Bitchजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें