34. Jiangshi

Lan Wangji kept a close watch over Wuxian as they began to travel after a nights rest. After Wuxian's memories came back, they were a lot more painful than anyone could ever imagine. Not only that, but then enduring years of abuse and neglect from people who were suppose to protect you was the ultimate betrayal. Wei Wuxian needed Justice for everything he has been through and Wangji will make sure he gets it.

As they walked, the stench of blood filled the air, "Why is the smell of blood so strong?" Wuxian asked.

"I am not sure," Xiaoru said, "let me go fly up higher and scope out the area."

"Be careful," Wuxian said and watched Xiaoru go up into the sky.

Xiaoru returned after a few minutes, "Wuxian, the village that is nearby, there is blood everywhere," he said frantically.

"Lead us there," Wuxian said. Xiaoru took them to the village and it looked like something slaughtered everyone here. There were bodies scattered everywhere and blood filled the streets, "what happened?"

Wangji knelt near the closest body and examined it, "there are teeth marks on this person's neck, and their stomach was torn open. From the looks of it, I have seen similar cases like this but not as severe. Corpses must have come through but some of them came during the night. The bite marks look like they come from a Jiangshi."

"What?" Wuxian asked.

"A Jiangshi," Wangji said, "also known as a Hopping Corpse or some say Vampires. A reanimated corpse which feeds on the Qi of living people. Usually depicted dressed in the garments of a court official and with a paper talisman attached to its forehead. Due to rigor mortis, it moves by either hopping or walking awkwardly, often with its arms outstretched."

"It can't be just one then, and if that is the case so they only attack at night?" Wuxian asked

"Mnn, that is why there might be more then just Jiangshi," Wangji replied, "with all these corpses, we need to play Rest so their souls can be at peace."

Wuxian nodded and took out Chenqing. He learned to play Rest as Lan Xichen helped him learn to play the flute. Wuxian and Wangji played Rest and saw all the souls of the dead be put to rest.

"I imagine that Jiangshi is still nearby?" Wuxian asked.

"Mnn, they are probably still close. Even though these people are dead, they can still be fed off of," Wangji said, "which is good because we can use these corpses to lure the Jiangshi out."

"How do we fight them? Are they difficult?" Wuxian asked.

"The Jiangshi may be distracted if small objects are thrown about, it will stop to count them. They are also blind, and if one holds their breath when it passes, they may remain unnoticed. Supposedly, a fifteen centimeter piece of wood nailed to the width of the bottom of the door will stop a Jiangshi from entering," Xiaoru explained, "they are pretty much like any other corpse."

"Oh," Wuxian said, "so even using my Fans will be fine."

"Mnn," Wangji nodded.

Wuxian then looked around the environment a little bit and found a building that looked all too familiar, "it's that place," he whispered.

"What place?" Xiaoru asked.

Wuxian did not answer and went over to the building. It was the inn that he was remembering from that night. Wangji followed him. Wuxian entered and went up to the second floor. He then entered a room that was empty but his memory was all coming back to him. He remembered seeing those two people taking advantage of his parents' dead bodies. Tears started to fall down his eyes as he remembered it all. He then caught a glimpse of something shiny from underneath one of the beds. He knelt down and it was a knife...it still had remnants of blood on it. Wuxian's hand trembled as he dropped the knife and stumbled backwards, falling back into Wangji's chest.

"Lan Zhan."

"What is it, Wei Ying?" Wangji questioned.

"It's this room," Wuxian sobbed, "this is where it happened."

Wangji looked around and realized this was the inn where Wuxian's parents died. Wangji didn't want Wuxian to continue to stand in that room so he lifted him up and carried him downstairs and outside. Wuxian basically lost control of his legs and collapsed to the ground. Wangji grabbed him and followed him down and held him close to comfort him. As he was trying to comfort him, a sudden sound came from behind them. Wangji looked and saw...his brother?

"Xiaoru, can you tell the difference between an illusion and reality?" Wangji asked.

"Mnn, there is no malicious charms or energy coming from them," Xiaoru replied.

"Wangji it really is me," Xichen said.

"If you are Xiongzhang, tell me something only he and I would know," Wangji said.

"The bunny Mother gave you as a birthday present before she passed away, you named her Snowball," Xichen said.

"How did you find us?" Wangji asked.

"It wasn't easy but I...put a tracking talisman on Wuxian's Chenqing. If he ever used it, I'd be able to find you. I told Lan Feng I would come home to her and Haiyue safely but I felt you needed me here to help. This is a lot to take in for just the two of you," Xichen said and looked at Wuxian who was a sobbing mess at the moment, "what happened?"

"The inn behind us," Wangji said, "Wei Ying recognized it and said that his parents were killed here. There is a lot that has happened. I was going to write to you when we settled again next."

"I am here now..." he looked around the area and saw all the corpses, "did you examine the corpses?"

"We did, I saw bite marks and said it might be the work of a Jiangshi," Wangji told him.

"As I am sure it is still around somewhere, why don't we settle down somewhere near here and set up camp. Wuxian can calm down and we can talk about everything," Xichen said.

Wangji nodded and looked at Xiaoru, "oh, Xiongzhang, this is Xiaoru," Wangji gestured, "Xiaoru, this is my brother, can you communicate with him too?"

Xiaoru connected to him, "I can, that way it is easier to talk with everyone. How may I address you?"

"Xichen is fine."

"It is nice to meet you Xichen," Xiaoru said and landed on his shoulder, "I will go scope the area and let you know if anything happens."

Wangji nodded and stood up with Wuxian in his arms. Wangji carried Wuxian to a clearing near the village but it was far enough away to keep them safe and close enough to go fight the Jiangshi when the time was right. Xichen prepared a fire while Wangji settled down with Wuxian and told Xichen everything that had happened since he last wrote to him.