27. Together and Always

The two had made decent progress on their way to Celestial Pass. They made it through Qishan and to their first destination at Zhoushan. They set up camp near a wooded area as from here they will travel on foot. They were resting at the moment but Wuxian had a book out, which to Wangji, he found a bit odd. Normally Wuxian does study but at a time like this he doesn't really read leisurely. That was until he saw what book he was reading.

"Wind manipulation techniques?" Wangji asked.

"As we are always working with fan martial arts, wind cultivation is something to learn more about. We know the basics of wind, and you and I are two of four wind masters. It only makes sense to continue to improve our skills," Wuxian explained.

"Did you learn anything interesting?" Wangji asked.

"I have," Wuxian said.

"Enlighten me, teach me," Wangji told him.

Wuxian giggled and stood up. He then took Wangji over to a more open area, "you understand the theory of wind manipulation, correct?" Wuxian asked.

"Mnn, but it is a bit different to grasp," Wangji replied.

"For it to work properly, it all depends on your enlightenment after you learn the theory," Wuxian said and summoned some wind, and leaves, "see how it moves."

"I do not think wind can be seen," Wangji said.

Wuxian smiled, "when you observe your surroundings, you can see the natural wind patterns. You are simply borrowing its strength, not necessarily creating it. Wind has a life too, it's ever-changing yet it can be traced when you reach a certain level, you'll be able to see it...why not give it a try for yourself?"

Wangji nodded and began making the movements and gestures to manipulate the wind, "freeze," Wuxian said. Wangji stopped mid-pose and waited for Wuxian's instructions. Wuxian adjusts him, "Raise your hands as they are perfectly aligned with your chest but relax, don't be too tense." Wangji did as instructed and was adjusted again, "again, relax your shoulders. Wind is fluidic and you are to adjust to it. Relax as it is calm too."

After few hours of training Wangji had finally gotten it. Wuxian then showed Wangji something else, "watch closely," he said. Wangji watched as he watched Wuxian summon the wind, leaving spinning and flowing around him. He then heard Wuxian say something, "Ride the clouds and spar through the sky!"

Wangji's eyes widened as he looked at the similarities to the technique on the open book page, "Cloud Ascension spell," Wangji mumbled, it is the best wind manipulation technique. It can knock a person off their feet. Even cause some serious damage, he thought. He was impressed. He then watched Wuxian settled the wind and let the world around them at ease.

"In time," Wuxian said, "you will get it."

"A'Ying, you seem to have a gift for this," Wangji told him, "you can understand and master a spell within a few minutes of learning it."

"Ah, I guess I just understood what it's telling me," Wuxian said, "but...it is strange...like I have learned this all before but I also don't have any knowledge of that happening...Lan Zhan, why is my memory so bad?"

"A'Ying, you don't have a bad memory, you are very smart," Wangji reassured him, "I just think someone tampered with your memory. You may be more special then we realize. If that is the case, I am happy to experience this all with you."

"I am glad I have you with me," Wuxian said, "because of you and your family, I have learned how to live properly. I don't know if I can handle life without you."

"You won't ever have to," Wangji said, "you and I are soul-bonds. That means no matter what, we are always together. In life and in death."

"That is a bit morbid," Wuxian said, "but I feel as if something were to ever happen to you, I would not ever be the same again. I would not even handle living without you."

"I am the same way you know," Wangji said, "let's promise each other, together and always."

"Mnn, together and always," Wuxian said.

"Now, we should really be resting, we still have a decent amount of traveling to go," Wangji told him, "we need to conserve our energy."

"I am tired," Wuxian said, "but I am going to meditate for a bit first. See if that helps bring some energy back. There is still some daylight left. We have yet to plan our next route."

Wangji nodded. As Wuxian spent the next hour or so meditating, Wangji looked through the map to see what they could come across next. There were some smaller towns and even a city. There was also the mountain range that they needed to find. Wangji took a couple notes and set them aside before he decided to meditate for a while as well.

When Wuxian woke from his meditation, he looked over the map that Wangji had been using and looked over the notes he wrote down. There was a chance they'd come across some Yao, ghosts, and other vicious creatures. If that was the case, they needed their strength. Even if they were immortal.

Wuxian had stocked the fire and gathered items to make food for him and Wangji. Wangji woke from his meditation and began to help Wuxian cook. They prepared vegetables and had fish that they caught from a nearby river. After eating, they placed a protective barrier around themselves so they could sleep peacefully without worrying about being attacked in their sleep.

Wuxian snuggled close to Wangji as he was happy to always have him beside him. Wangji smiled as he tangled his fingers through Wuxian's hair and wrapped his free arm around him pulling him close. The two soon fell asleep. They were still accustomed to the Lan sleeping hours so they'd be asleep by their respective time and they'd wake in the morning at five, just like at Cloud Recesses.