15. Caiyi Town

Caiyi Town is a waterfront town in the Gusu region, located approximately 10 kilometers (20 里 lǐ) from the Cloud Recesses. It is connected by a waterway to Biling Lake. The town dwellings were packed on either side of the web-like water paths. The houses have white walls and grey roofs, and the rivers are filled with boats carring baskets and people. On the banks, many goods are sold, including flowers, fruits, bamboo crafts, pastries, tea, and silk.

It was actually the first time Wuxian really for a chance to go into town with Wangji. Of course, Wuxian wore his Gusu Lan robes and headgear, his sword in hand and had his Jade token in display. Many people looked their way as they finally got to meet Lan Wangji's partner. They all watched as the young cultivator bounced from stall to stall in excitement as it was all so new to him. Lan Wangji was happy to see the excitement and wonder in his lover's eyes. They had a look of joy and youth in them.

Today, even though they were getting supplies to make fans, Wangji wanted to spoil and dot on him and buy things for him. Whatever he wanted he will buy. Before they really went around to shop, they stopped at a Hunan cuisine restaurant in the town. In the restaurant, Lan Wangji ordered him some spicy dishes and Wuxian loved spicy food. Wangji then ordered something mild for himself. He even let Wuxian try Emperor's Smile (Tiānzǐ Xiào), as they were outside the walls of Cloud Recesses, he could indulge himself in it. Wuxian described the taste as fragrant and mellow. He found he liked it. Wangji said he'd buy some for him when they were ever in town.

Wuxian was having the time of his life. Back in Lotus Pier, he hardly left the confines of the sect. When he did leave, he had someone with him and they made sure he didn't slack off of goof around. He would usually only go to get supplies for the sect and nothing else. Wuxian became so overwhelmed with happiness, tears started to form.

When Wangji noticed he worried for a moment, "What is wrong? Is it the food?" He asked.

Wuxian shook his head, "no, the food is great. I am just really happy. I never got to do anything like this back in Yunmeng. I feel like I am free and I am experiencing something so new and exciting. It's a bit overwhelming but I am very much okay," he explained.

Wangji could understand. From the past Wuxian had to endure, Wangji understood Wuxian most. He knew that this was all so exciting and it can be overwhelming. Wangji smiled and placed his hand on the back of Wuxian, rubbing up and down.

"You, out of everyone, deserve to feel as you do," Wangji said, "and the day is not over yet. I know we have supplies to buy, but if there is anything you want, tell me and it is yours. My money is your money."

Wuxian smiled back and nodded, "okay...I have to ask, since we are buying things to make fans, isn't Nie Huaisang having issues with cultivating, would he be able to do fan cultivation? He doesn't necessarily need to use a saber. If it helps him, I'm sure his brother would be happy he is able to fight and cultivate properly."

Wangji nodded as he had a point, "I do not see why we cannot help him. We can make him a fan and then ask him if he wishes to learn."

Wuxian nodded, "I also read that it can be done with either one fan or two fans. It is more effective if there are two fans. What would you prefer?"

"I think you should consider the person as we make them. I would only prefer one fan but Yanli and Huaisang would probably fair better with two because it will be their main source of fighting. You can decide if you want one or two," Wangji said.

"If this works out well, would Shufu and Xichen-Ge consider me teaching wind and fan cultivation to other disciples? I think it would be fun. I enjoy helping at the archery range but it would be something new for the Lan Sect. We are known for our music techniques so why not add fan cultivation as well," Wuxian suggested.

Wangji smiled and tapped his finger to Wuxian's nose, "I think it can be arranged," he said, "we can even see if we can have a room built just for you and your crafts. Your talents should not be limited," Wangji said, "when we return to Cloud Recesses, let's sit down with Shufu and Xiongzhang to discuss this further. For now, let's get the supplies we need for our fans."

Wuxian nodded in agreement. After they got their food, they ate silently, paid, and then went to gather all the supplies they needed. Wuxian said he'd used either sandalwood or bamboo as the base of the fan and then he needed fabrics for each of them. They went to the fabric shop and started looking for fabrics. Wuxian found several that he liked so Wangji bought them all and then Wuxian could choose as he made the fans.

When they finished shopping for the fans, Wangji took him around town a little bit longer and bought some things for him if he wanted them. They ended up buying matching light blue tassels that had rabbits carved out of jade as the ornament. They each had one and continued to look around. As they walked, Wuxian noticed a stall with Xiaos, Xuns, and Dizis. His eyes landed on a beautiful black bamboo Dizi.

"This flute is no ordinary flute," the vendor said, "this is a Yin and Yang flute, both of spiritual and resentful energies."

Wuxian looked at Wangji, "maybe I shouldn't, it would be against some of our rules. It's very pretty and I feel a connection to it but I don't want to get into trouble because of it."

Since Wangji heard Wuxian said he felt a pull towards the flute, he bought it for him. He would sit down with Shufu and his brother with Wuxian to discuss more about the flute. When the flute was in his hand, it glowed and accepted him as its master.

"Chenqing," Wuxian says.

"What?" Wangji asked.

"That is its name, Chenqing," he said, "I know I had a pull for the flute, but it looked familiar to me. Almost as if I saw it before."

"Maybe it was something you saw when you were a child?" Wangji suggested.

"Maybe," Wuxian said quietly. He put the flute in a Qiankun pouch and then they went back on their way. They soon went back to Cloud Recesses as it was close to curfew. The two would then talk to Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen the following day.

//////////
Out of curiosity, I know at the moment, I have Yanli and Jin Zixuan as normal, to be married as it is an arrangement through their mothers; I had a thought on maybe having Nie Huaisang and Jiang Yanli secretly gaining feelings towards each other and the relationship between them causes the marriage with the Jin Sect to break.

I thought it would be an interesting pairing and I think it would be different and someone new. What would you all think if I paired the two?