26. A Long Journey Ahead

Wangji and Wuxian woke up at their normal hours and prepared their things to leave for their journey. They had a decent breakfast with Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen before they were to head out. Healer Kai even stopped over to see them at the Yashi for a moment to give them some medical supplies for the road.

"A'Ying, let's hope you do not have to put those skills I taught you to use but if you need to, you will have what you need for basic care," Healer Kai said.

"Thank you, we will try to be safe on our trip," Wuxian told him.

"That's all I need to hear," Healer Kai said. Healer Kai said one last goodbye before heading back to the infirmary.

"It's going to a long journey and I'm sure we'll miss home, but I am ready to face anything when I am with you," Wuxian told Wangji as they walked towards the main gate.

Wangji smiled, "Mnn, we are in this together, remember?"

Wuxian nodded, "so from what I remember on the map, it is very fair to the northwest."

"It will take a long time," Wangji said, "we will stop from place to place to rest when we need it."

"If it's possible, I know the two sects are on the way, but if we can avoid Yunmeng and Qishan, that would actually be great. There is no telling what will happen if we run into either the Jiang Sect or the Wen Sect," Wuxian said.

"We will try, but if you have the memory of the map, why not just make a—" Wangji was cut off by a piece of parchment being placed in his hand.

"Copy?" Wuxian said finishing his sentence with a sly grin on his face.

Wangji smiled, "so you did make one," he said.

"Of course, I have a couple copies," Wuxian said, "it is just in case one gets lost or damaged, and we can find out where we are."

"You even put in extra efforts to mark mountain passes and other landmarks that we might come by," Wangji said.

"Needed to be thorough," Wuxian said, "the Celestial Pass looked like it's within either a mountain range or a canyon. Sometimes maps are deceiving."

"You still did good, A'Ying," Wangji said, "I have a carriage prepped at the edge of town and we will be using it until we reach Zhoushan."

"From there we are on foot?" Wuxian asked.

Wangji nodded, "I figured we'd preserve our strength this way. Also the carriage will be unmarked so we have less chances of being noticed unless we stop somewhere."

Wuxian nodded, "let's get going then."

The two reached the end of two where the carriage was waiting for them. They entered the carriage and they were now on their long journey. Wangji managed to bring some books they recently bought in town to pass the time. Wuxian was more interested in watching the scenery out of the window of the carriage.

"I am guessing you travel a bit but this is probably the first time I really get to go somewhere," Wuxian said as he soaked in the warm calming breeze from the window.

"Mnn, I didn't leave much but when I did, it was usually to different sects. This time it is different," Wangji said.

Wuxian nodded and let out a sigh, "I remember my parents were always traveling and were rogue cultivators. I do not have a lot of memories of when I was a kid but I know I have some. I remember one in particular where I was little and I was sitting on a donkey, with my parents on either side of me. My father has on purple Jiang Sect robes but he had left the sect long ago. My mother was in white and black robes. The red ribbon I have was in my mother's hair at the time. I don't remember the conversation but I remember laughing and my mother was always getting my father and I to laugh," he explained, "when I was taken in by the Jiang's, I actually had a wish to being able to travel again. I don't remember how my parents died but I always wanted to know. The Jiangs would never talk about my parents. Then again, they treated me no better than a servant."

Wangji set his book aside and pulled Wuxian to his lap. Wangji wrapped his arms around Wuxian's waist and he ran his fingers through Wuxian's hair to comfort him, "I am glad you were willing to share such a valuable memory with me. When it comes to the Jiang Sect, we will get justice for how you were treated. It will happen once we return home from our trip. This trip could give us some insight," Wangji said.

"I know," Wuxian said as he rested his head on Wangji's shoulder, "you are so comfortable."

Wangji placed a kiss on Wuxian's forehead, "you can chill here for a while if you want."

Wuxian nodded as he turned slightly and wrapped his arms around Wangji and shoved his face into the crook of his neck, "if I fall asleep, you can just lay me down beside you," Wuxian told him, "the movement of the carriage and you holding me is very relaxing."

"Mnn, you can sleep if you want," Wangji said.

"Won't you get bored?" Wuxian asked.

"No, I have a book here, and I have you here. You may be asleep but it's entertaining to watch you sleep," Wangji told him.

"Ugh," Wuxian blushed, "Er-Gege, you are so shameless in watching me sleep. What else do you do when I am not watching?"

"That is my little secret,"Wangji told him, "I will not tell you. I can shamelessly watch my husband sleep because there is no law that says I cannot."

Wuxian giggled, "I will remember this conversation."

"I'm sure you will," Wangji replied.

////////////

(Found this map of MDZS online

(Found this map of MDZS online. I saw it's more of a fan made map but it's helpful with this story...and where it says Passionless Valley is where I thought Celestial Pass would be.)