Chapter 3

We found Amber's parents address and made our way to their house to deliver the news that no parent wants to hear. When we arrived at the front door, I knocked on the door.

Woman: Yes? Can I help you gentlemen?

Namjoon: Hello ma'am, I'm Detective Kim Namjoon and this is my partner, Detective Kim Taehyung.

Woman: Detectives? What is this about?

Taehyung: Yes, ma'am, we are here on official police business. May we come in and speak with you?

Woman: Sure, let me call my husband. Glen! The police are here. Come in.

Glen: The police?

Woman: Yes, dear. I'm Terri.

Glen: Uh, hi, what is this about? What's going on?

Namjoon: I'm sorry, but we have news about your daughter, Amber, and her sons.

Terri: News? What news? Did something happen? (Nervously asking as Glen held her close).

Namjoon: We are sorry to tell you this, but your daughter and grandsons were murdered.

Glen: What?! How? When? (Terri crying falling to her knees).

Taehyung: We only have limited information and we are hoping you can help us fill in the gaps.

Glen: What happened to my little girl?!

Namjoon: They were all brutally murdered about two days ago. They were dismembered.

Terri: (Whaling) What?!?! Why?!?!

Namjoon: We do not know ma'am. We have not recovered all their parts.

Glen: You mean to tell me that some sick psycho chopped up my daughter and her sons?!

Namjoon and Taehyung both nodding

Taehyung: We are so sorry for your losses. We need your help in solving this case and catch the person who has done this.

Glen: How can we help?

Namjoon: Can you please tell us about Amber? Did she ever had anyone in her life that ever threatened her?

Terri: Amber was a sweet girl. She never made any enemies that we know of. She really loved being a mother.

Taehyung: What about an ex-boyfriend? The boys' father. (Terri looked at Glen with more tears.)

Glen: The boys' father is no longer with us. He died of cancer.

Namjoon: I'm sorry to hear that. How did the boys handle the loss of their father?

Glen: Well, Hayden took it hard. Jon never got the opportunity to have a relationship with his father. The lad was only 6 months old when their father passed.

Taehyung: Were Amber and the father married?

Glen: No, they put off getting married and we never understood why. They both finished school and started working before Amber got pregnant. We thought the wedding would be soon, but it never happened.

Namjoon: Did something happen in the relationship that made them decide not to get married?

Glen: Not that I am aware of. He was a good guy. Even when he was dying, he thought he was going to make it. I guess he thought when he beat cancer then they would get married.

Taehyung: Sir? When we were at Amber's home, I did not see any photos of their father around the house. Why were there no photos of him around her place? (Namjoon thought hard and realized that Taehyung was right. They did not see any photos of a man in any of the family photos).

Glen: I'm afraid that the only person that can answer that question is Amber.

Terri: When can we have their remains? We should start planning for their funerals.

Namjoon: The medical examiner will contact you when they release their remains.

Terri: Thank you. (Wiping away her tears).

Glen: If there is nothing else can you please find out who did this to our little girl and our grandchildren?

Taehyung: Yes sir. We will let you know when we have the suspect in custody.

After informing the family, we returned to the station. On the way back, Namjoon thought that it would be a good idea to get to know me.

Namjoon: Taehyung?

Taehyung: Yes?

Namjoon: Since you are my new partner and this is our first case together, tell me about yourself.

Taehyung: Oh...yes. Mmm... I have been a detective for about 3 years now. Been a cop a total of 4 years before becoming detective.

Namjoon: That is impressive. Do you have a family?

Taehyung: Not yet, but I do have a partner.

Namjoon: Oh, that's nice. I do not have a family yet or a partner. My last relationship was 4 years ago. She could not handle the dangers of being in a relationship with a cop. It seems that your partner accepts your line of work. How long have you been together?

Taehyung: We have been together for 3 years now.

Namjoon: That's good. Really good. How did you guys meet?

Taehyung: At a coffee shop. When I first laid eyes on him, I had to claim him as mine.

Namjoon: Nice.

Taehyung: It was wonderful. (I cannot tell Namjoon the truth about how I met my partner).