Yami Sukehiro × Reader : Grief and Hope

Requested by Karina_Yuukira. Thank you for requesting!

Genre : Angst to fluff.

Summary : You and Yami have been expecting a child soon, but things take a dark turn when tragedy occurs.

Word count : 1697.

TRIGGER WARNING : mentions of miscarriage.

. . . 🖤 . . .

Life was a bliss.

It started from scartch, but was built on promising seeds that only waited to blossom into beautiful flowers.

Yet, the journey towards such growth was not easy, for its hefty hardships threatened to pull you down over and over again.

Nonetheless, you did not give it the pleasure of breaking your spirits down. And as a result, you were rewarded with people whom you were still grateful for.

On top of the list was a foreigner who had life as unforgiving as you. For the similarities, you found solace in one another; your bond sprung and its threads strengthened into unbreakable strings.

Fruitfully, you were bounded to the man you loved in a cheerful ceremony where joy and love were celebrated. Your beloved ones were present and showed nothing but genuine care and happiness.

A year after that, the greatest news knocked your door: you were announced with a child.

The feeling of ecstatic excitement and curiosity mixed with fear to launch sails into this new, parental journey overwhelmed you and Yami.

"You're joking." He gasped at you; his cigarette fell from his fingers and crashed into the ground.

"I am not," you giggled, "I have just been to Owen's." He eyed your belly and concentrated on the new Ki and magic that radiated from it.

He was, indeed, going to become a father in a matter of months.

With great gentleness, Yami wrapped his arms around your waist; so cautious as if you were made of glass.

"Thank you," he burried his head in the crook of your neck, "thank you so much."

Life was, truly, a bliss.

Until tragedy struck and crumbled your walls into dust.

You were hardly accustomed to your new, temporary lifestyle when an emergency occured that had Yami fly you to Owen's at speed faster than light.

"I'm sorry. We've done everything we could." Was all you needed to hear to understand that the flicker of life inside of you had extinguished.

Nothing in the world had prepared for such loss, and you were not certain if you'd ever recovered, even centuries later.

At the moment, it seemed unlikely... impossible that the pain would ever subside to numbness.

Lost in sorrow and grief, you found comfort within the walls of your bedroom, away from the world.

Because you didn't allow a soul in, the loneliness brought in your darkest fears and heaviest regrets. And your mind seemed to have become its ally, for it did not cease to torment you of the past fantasies that had burned into ashes.

"(Y/n)?" Came Yami's usual call, "I've come to check on you. Mind if I come in?"

The poor man always asked the same question every single day; yet, he was shooed away either by silence or a faint and broken, "go away."