Nacht Faust × Reader : Irony

Requested by idkshi. Thank you for requesting!

Genre : Angst (kinda)

Summary : Harboring feelings for a certain vice-captain, you are met with a harsh reality check.

Word count : 1203.

Trigger warning : Spoilers from the manga.

. . . 🖤 . . .

Fate can sometimes be ironic.

It can strip you of everything you value the most; family, friends, partner, freedom... And in a blink of an eye, it returns you all that had been stolen, as if they were mere borrowed items.

To test your patience or to have a laughter at your misery, I knew not.

But what I did know for certain was my position in its head list, if not its primary choice.

Originating from an orphanage, I did not know what family love tasted like; yet, in its mind games, fate rewarded me of strong bonds with a squad I could consider the closest to family's definition. Then, some were swiped away by Grim Reaper's scythe in seconds, while others fell to despair.

Lost to the feeling of an utter state of stagnation in spite of my hardest work, I was a foreigner to what satisfaction over one's work felt like. While my teammates achieved all with minimum efforts, I struggled to follow.

No matter the hardships, I managed to ascend the ladder of ranks. Eventually, I was granted the position of first class magic knight.

Lastly was an odd emotion that I thought my self never capable of holding. While I admired my comrades and their work, it was completely different from how I felt towards a certain person.

A mixture of pleasure and frustration was the most remarkable characteristic of such sensation; one that left my heart pounding blood extensively into my veins as it, consequently, halted its burning run in my cheeks.

One that pushed my thoughts into pure disarray. Questions and analyses flooded my mind; and in the blind fog that clouded my logic, I could barely distinguish fact from imagination.

He was my teammate's brother. An overly edgy person who danced dangerously on others' nerves, and who, simultaneously, did not care for their reaction; a feature he owned that I never dared to ask for.

Freedom.

Oh, how I wished to voice my desires, to announce my suffering in exchange for salvation.... or demise if he did not reciprocate my emotions.

Did I catch him staring, or did I allow tricks to be played in my mind? Did I misread his intentions from the second-longer handshake? Did I misinterpret his words to those similar to affection?

Fear clawed at my heart, refusing to unleash it from its firm grasp. I could never dream of risking years of built up friendship from blood and sweat for a ridiculous crush; hence why my admiration stayed hidden for years.

Even after the glorious days of the Grey Deer under Julius's captaincy ended. However, their termination ushered me to quit the squad, for most of its members now became former.

"Join my squad, (Y/n)." was all I needed to hear from Yami to accept his invitation. After all, I was a nobody with no family, few friends, no partner, and no freedom.

Maybe if I joined Yami, I would be able to see him again.

But in a mysterious veil, he vanished to never be seen for years to follow his brother's unfortunate death; tirelessly, I searched; yet to no avail.