Chapter 18 | The Ball-2

Start from the beginning

He held out his hand for her. She took it and entered the carriage. He sat opposite to her. She had barely looked at him since they had met. This made him think if he was not looking good. Before he could say anything she looked at him. Those eyes ... he never knew what captivated him. But those eyes never failed to express themselves.

Right now, they were expressing joy. She smiled softly. "No one has ever done anything like this for me."
This statement did not surprise him. He knew her aunt never really cared for her. And she had become an orphan at a very tender age. He could sense the tears welling up in her eyes. If only he could hold her closer and console her. But that would be inappropriate.

"Miss Shaw, I am not doing any favour to you, so do not thank me." He wanted her to feel a little special about it. People could do a favour for anyone, but no one could do what he did for her, for anyone. Even he was not sure why he has some it for her. He did it because it seemed right to him. And one doesn't need a reason to o prove why they are right. They just end up doing it. And he was happy that he had done that.

Suddenly, the carriage bounced, springing her from her seat, thus causing her to end up on top of him. He held her cautiously, so that she didn't hurt herself. The two stares at each other, his hand on her waist and her hands gripping onto his shoulders.
The distance between them was so little that if she moved even a little, then their lips would touch. The two remained still as they started into each other.
Suddenly, it felt like the air between them was becoming thicker. As if, it was pushing them towards each other. He could feel the dips of her waist while she could feel the sturdiness of his broad shoulders. He kept on looking at her soft and plump lips which he had already felt with his fingers back then. He wondered how they would feel against his lips.
The carriage bounced again, causing her to lose control of herself and ends up falling into his embrace. Heat rose up to his stomach as he felt the softness of her breast on his chest. The distance between them had closed. She was laying in his arms, with their bodies in contact.

She was embarrassed. Her face had turned red. She quickly retreated from him and straightened her skirt with her hands. It took her a lot of courage to apologise for it. She was expecting him to become angry, but he said nothing. It was, as if, he was hiding his face from her. She hung her head down, trying to think of what had just happened. She was in the arms of William! Had she ever thought of being in the arms of any man? No, never.

She made sure that such a thing never happened again, and was wary the whole ride. The rest of the ride continued silently.

~

"Yes we were waiting for you." As soon as Gretta saw Cathy, she engulfed her into a hug. "You are looking so pretty. Where did you get this dress from?"

She looked at William for a few seconds before telling her that he was the one who had bought it for her. Gretta looked at him with a look which the two couldn't decipher. "And you are with him, right?"
Cathy nodded to her question. "Well, you are looking extremely beautiful tonight. And, Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Cathy. Merry Christmas William. Enjoy yourselves. I must find my husband now. I wonder what he's up to." She excused herself from the two.

"I must rejoin with my family," she said as she was looking around the hall.
"Oh, I would like to meet them as well," he said, as he took her hand and made his way towards them.
The whole time, she was looking at their hands. Did he forget about the incident in the carriage? How could he be so calm, confident and composed after it. They found the Dudleys in no time.

"Oh Cathy," exclaimed Mr. Dudley. She bowed in front of him and pulled Henrietta into a hug.
"Cathy, you look so beautiful in this dress. Where did you get it from?" Henrietta couldn't help but ask.
"Well, it was Mr Benwick." She turned towards him and thanked him again.