Chapter 42: Damage Control

Start from the beginning

"Is that what you think? He's actually more vulnerable than us" I answered.

"What do you mean by that? Is there something you are not telling me" He asked.

"Nothing of the sort, If we are going to take him down we have to plan this thoroughly, there should be no room for errors" I explained.

"We?, I'm glad this time around you are not going out alone on a suicide mission" He commented.

"If I had a choice I wouldn't want you or anyone else getting involved but I'm still suffering the consequences of my previous actions, I don't want to hurt any of you this time around"I confessed.

He walked closer to me and then tapped my shoulder.

"Don't worry, we'll end him the same way we got rid of Justin and the bucket load of enemies we always somehow end up having. I have to say though I seriously thought Justin was the worst but your brother just snatched that title, he's so goddam annoying" Zack expressed.

"You are right about that one" I agreed.

I stretched my arms. My phone started ringing.

"I'm so tired of doing damage control, I feel like I've aged a lot" I commented not looking at the screen because I knew I'd only receive more bad news.

"Tell me about it, I had to switch off my phone because I was on the verge of losing my mind with all the ringing. We still have to pay the families of all the deceased, deal with legal stuff, and somehow derail the police's investigation so they don't find out the company or we have ties to the mafia. Luckily the military police are treating this as a terrorist attack" Zack commented.

"You're right, because of that we at least have the public's sympathy"

"You know if you think critically about this, this could be a blessing in disguise. Because of all the publicity, we are indirectly being advertised to the whole world not to mention all the donations and financial support we are receiving. We won't have to remove any money from our pockets to rebuild. We just somehow became twice as rich, once he's dead we should expand the company more" He stated.

I laughed.

"That could easily turn around so don't be excited about that— it's almost dinner I'll head on out and go make Amanda dinner "I commented.

"Oh I want chicken for dinner and some wine, I haven't had any fried rice in a whil—"

"I'm not your maid, go make it yourself" I reminded.

"Ouch, how heartless"
————

"Mr. Steve's trial is scheduled for next week, " the lawyer explained over the phone.

"How is it looking" I asked.

"Surprisingly favorable. The evidence they presented is clearly false, it's like they were not trying to expose him but rather just to keep him locked up for a while, anyway, the judge is on our side so I just need to give a believable act in court for the public" he explained.

"Of course that was the objective, the person who framed him clearly believes Steve is the only 'friend' in the national security system—how about the issue with H&Z" I asked.

"More people are coming up to demand you pay them more, There was also a claim that the faulty machinery in the workhouse caused the explosion but not to worry I'll make sure you don't have to pay a single cent more to these greedy people" he assured.

"I like an employee who is loyal and good at their job. Keep it up" I assured.

"I owe you my life, Mr. Craver. I can lay down my life for your sake. Anyway I have to go now but I'll call you when I deal with Mr Steve's case" he replied.