18. fine line

୨ৎ ꒰ fine line ꒱ ୨ৎ

.୨ৎ ꒰ fine line ꒱ ୨ৎ.

in may, susannah passed away.
in her bed, peacefully, with a smile on her lips. willow was holding her hand, her brothers next to her. she felt her mom flying away.

willow posted a photo of susannah at the beach the previous summer to announce her death and forever have her gorgeous face on her feed. 

laurel was there, she had always been there. whether to cook a proper meal for the kids or to help their mom do the basic things that became so difficult for her.

the pain was destroying willow. it felt like thousands of stabs in the chest.
she didn't want to believe it, but when she kissed her mom on the cheek for the last time before the funeral, she had to come to peace with herself. even if it felt like dying.

she was getting ready in her bedroom, trying to put on makeup without ruining it with the tears. after the fifth time she tried to put on mascara, frustrated, she removed all the makeup and decided that she was fine without any makeup.

her mom always liked it when she would wear her bear skin. she used to say she was fresh like a flower.

sitting and her vanity, she started crying again, looking at herself in the mirror.
she closed her eyes and took deep breaths, she wanted to have a smile on her lips during the funeral, she knew her mom wanted that.

"can i come in?" steven knocked on the door.

"yes" he looked beautiful in his tux, more like a man than a teenager.

"how do you feel?" he hugged her when she stepped forward to him.

"destroyed deeply" she mumbled.

"she will always be with us. honestly, you remind me a lot of her"

"that's the best thing you could ever say to me, boo" she smiled.

"and i really mean it" he gently kissed her. "shall we go downstairs?"

willow nodded, taking his hand. with him, nothing seemed impossible.

⭑○◦

she was sitting between her brothers, holding tight their hands, really trying to keep it together.

the pastor was talking about susannah and how she was a kind and sunny woman. willow felt kind of mad. he probably met her twice, he didn't know her at all.
but she sighed and closed her eyes, resting her head on conrad's shoulder.

they would never have a portrait made by susannah. they always complained so much about posing for hours, if only they knew it was going to be the last time.

no more movie nights, good breakfast, and dinners at veranda.

no more girl's days or susannah getting mad for her bad cooking experiment.

no more family. no more mom.

"willow and conrad, the beloved daughter and son of susannah, will please us with a song, in her mom's honor."

willow got brought back to reality and walked with conrad towards the piano.
he took the guitar and started playing.

willow's hands were moving by themselves, cause she was busy trying not to cry too hard. next to her, in front of everybody, conrad looked calm.

"put a price on emotion, i'm looking for something to buy" everyone in the church looked surprised. conrad never sang in front of anyone other than her closest family members.

"you've got my devotion, but man, i can hate you sometime" willow sounded angelic as always.

she sang a lot to her mom during the past months, when she was in therapy.
"i bet when i'll get to heaven your voice will welcome me, willy" she used to say after every session.

by the chorus, she was sobbing. she couldn't see anything because of the tears and her mind was going back to the night conrad played fine line to her.

he knew everything. he was destroyed by the secret. and despite the pain, he protected her and jeremiah. he didn't want them to suffer like him.
it wasn't right to know the truth at the time.

"we'll be a fine, we'll be alright" they sang together.

"we'll be alright, we'll be fine line " conrad looked at willow.

"we'll be a fine line" willow looked at conrad.

their voices met again.
"we'll be fine line, we'll be alright"

it was perfect, a magical goodbye to susannah.
their lives were forever changed, but at least, they were together.

✿ ﹔AUTHOR'S CORNER !

i don't even have words to describe how grateful i am 😭

thank you so much to anyone who read, voted, and commented this book, you made my day. a big thank you to aquawons literally the sweetest human being !! (go follow her)

it's the first time i posted a book and finished writing it, posting regularly, and i could wish for better readers, really, thank you so much !

i love you,

ari