4. Namjoon 𓆙 Ostensible

People Are Poison.

𓇢⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆𓇢𓆸

"We gather here today to celebrate the life of Kim Seokjin, who has now returned to his home with Our God, The Father....." The priest's voice drifts into the background as I look at the coffin that holds the body of my husband. My mind is lost in memories.

We met in high school. He was well known among everyone, confident, and outgoing, while I was a nobody. I had a hopeless crush on him, thinking it would always be one-sided. Until we met in college again, and he asked me out on a date after a few days of conversation. I remember squealing like a little girl, laughing, and pumping my fists in the air.

He saw me! Me! A nobody.

Our first date extended to more dates, and then we officially started dating. I got to know that Seokjin had a crush on me during high school but couldn't muster the courage to ask me out, thinking I wasn't interested in him. I felt stupid knowing that. We could've been together since high school.

We got married after college, spending and celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary this year, but now he is gone. Forever.

"—Amen." I come back to my surroundings.

I stood over my husband's coffin. The casket was draped in a white linen cloth, and atop it rested his favourite flower—calla lilies.

The funeral was small and intimate, as we both have been very private people. Our closest friends and family members were in attendance to pay their respects.

I stood at the edge of the grave, the soft crunch of snow cutting through the deathly silence of the surroundings. My hands shook as I clutched a handful of dirt. Just as they lowered the coffin into the ground to let his body rest, with each inch, a sinking feeling hit my gut. The reality of it hit me, and I realised my love was gone.

My legs give up on me as tears stream down my face, but before I can fall, I'm wrapped in a warm embrace, letting me cry on their chest.

𓆙

I look at the framed picture of Jin and I laughing at the camera. It feels like it was just yesterday when he held me in his arms as I cried watching Bridge to Terabithia, kissed me goodnight, or whispered I love you's at night, thinking I was asleep.

My fingers gently traced around his face. I sniff and smile as memories resurface.

Jin huffs looking at pictures we clicked, saying, "Ah, I can't believe I look this handsome in every picture while you look like this!" 

My jaw drops open as I feign a gasp. "You little-" 

He runs away as I run behind him, laughing and trying to catch him.

Someone knocks at the door, and I quickly wipe away my tears. Namjoon slightly opens the door and asks, "Can I come in?"

I nod.

He sits beside me in bed, seeing the photo I was admiring. He picks it up and smiles while looking at it. "I miss him."

Tears well up in my eyes again. "I miss him too." More than words could say.

He reaches out and squeezes my hand to show his support. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Elle." His voice shook with sadness. Elle—only Seokjin would call me Elle, but I can't find the heart to correct Namjoon. "He was a good son, a good human, always helping and cheering up people around him, and an even better partner. If there's anything I can do," he trails off, not knowing how to finish that sentence.