○×48: bitter truths & broken trusts○×

Start from the beginning

Maddened, I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Stop trying my patience and get out of my way, Rina."

"No, Kian. You got it all wrong." Fire blazed in her eyes, her stance, adamant.

Jesus Christ! Why was I surrounded by stubborn women?

Beads of spittle flew in her face as I roared, cords of veins streaming down my neck, "This is my last warning. Get the fuck out of my way! That bastard needs to greet the devil when he meets his crusty, black ass in hell."

No. Another firm shake of her head. "It wasn't Kincade who killed your mother. Your father did."

"What?!" I stumbled backwards, as if a great blow had been dealt to my guts, all the air sucked out of me. "Shut your fucking trap, Rina."

Her pale lips moved fast, sadness tinged in her low tone. "Your father killed your mother because she saw him touching me indecently."

"No, no, stop talking." I jerked my head to and fro, disbelieving of the shit that streamed out of her mouth. "Stop fucking talking, Rina. It's not a joke!"

She looked me straight in the eyes, her next sentence rocking the very foundation of my world. "It's true, Kian. The babies I aborted, it was your father's."

My knees gave way, the uncemented ground meeting me in a rush, just as the gun dropped from my right hand. The moment it did, I faintly registered Rina rushing to snatch it away and tuck it inside her back pocket.

"No, no, no. You lie, Rina, you lie." I rocked, clammy palms cradling my face, my entire world collapsed. Destroyed.

Snippets of the past replayed like a movie in my head, repressed childhood memories. Mom falling down the stairs and having a miscarriage. The minor quarrels that persisted after that. Dad's aloofness whenever she told him to check up on us.

"Kian," Rina called softly, her shadow falling across me as she bent down to my level. "Kian."

"Stop crying, son. Your mother's in a safe place where no black shit can harm or touch her. You hear me? No one. It's me, you and your brother now."

"God, no! Not my father. No!!!!!" I threw my head back, a guttural roar tearing out of me. Angst whipped at me, dragging me under, my heart splintered by a thousand needles. I was lost, drifting in the sea of ruin.

Unseeing, I vaguely heard Rina say out loud, "He's in shock. Kian, can you hear me?"

I shut her out, our last argument flashing in my mind.

"Rina, tell me! What got you like this? Who made you like this?"

"Well, ask your damn . . ." 

Father.

Now, I understood why she'd trailed off, unwilling to speak. She'd been conniving with my father the whole damn time, even going as far as to sleep with him. Jesus. Disgust had my skin crawling, a bitter taste stuck in my mouth. She'd cheated on me with my fucking father. The same person who'd allegedly killed my mother.

Rina's cold fingers caressed my cheeks, lingering. "Kian, come on, look at me. I know it's unbelievable but you need to hear the truth."

Violent, I shook her touch off, loathe to feel her hands anywhere near me. Then I lifted my stinging eyes up, uttering in a small voice, "You knew, Katharina. You always knew."

"I did." Tears brimmed in her red-rimmed eyes. "Give me, us." She pointed back at Kincade's pitiful expression. "Give us a chance to explain. Please."

Her eyes bore into mine, a glimpse of the teenage girl that had once captured my heart, staring back at me. The agony glinting in those sky-blue depths told me she'd gone through hell too. They carried an honesty that howled to be let out. A truth I didn't want to believe. But I knew, I'd realized that deep down, my cold father was capable. More than capable.