Chapter 35: Bye Bye

Jeremiah takes one look between me and Tie's dead body before rushing towards me, trapping me in a hug. A much needed one. A few tears fall as Jeremiah holds me.

He lets go as the bulls start arresting different kids.

"Just the bigger ones, chief," Jeremiah calls. "Jack, tell them which ones."

The chief turns to Jack, who starts pointing out the main thugs of the Bronx, who are looking very beaten up. Jack doesn't make the bulls arrest the younger Bronx newsies, which I'm happy about, because they still have a second chance to change their ways.

Brick is the only one struggles with his restraints. His arms are fidgeting as he tries to fight off the bull leading him to the carriage.

"This isn't the end of da Bronx! I'll be back!" Brick yells.

"No, you won't, actually. That's the entire point of arresting you," the officer holding him says.

"Everyone say bye-bye to the Bronx!" Jeremiah yells.

"Bye-bye Bronx!" some newsies call, somewhat happily. While we're glad it's over, the reality of the situation is more apparent as we gather around Tie's dead body.

"We'll take care of him," Dash says, gesturing to him and some other Brooklyn newsies.

"Spot's gettin' released from the hospital, don't you wanna see him?" I ask.

Dash shakes his head. "Nah, we'll see him on the docks, where he belongs. You guys go see him out of the hospital, and we'll make sure Tie rests in a good place."

I nod. "Okay."

"Thanks for all the help," Jack says.

Dash nods. The Brooklyn newsies move towards Tie and pick him up, carrying him off. Jack stands in front of all the newsies.

"We did it!" Jack yells. We cheer. "We ain't gotta worry 'bout the Bronx no more. I just wanna say thanks for all the help, and even though not everyone made it, a lot of us did, and that's what mattas! Harlem is back in the hands of the real Harlem newsies, and the Bronx is headin' towards betta days. For the second time in a year, we's all worked togetha and won somethin' big. Thank you all again, and now that it's ova, you can head home without any worries."

The leaders of the boroughs come together to talk and spit shake before heading off. Once most are gone, Jack heads towards Jeremiah and they shake hands.

"Thanks for pullin' through," Jack says.

Jeremiah shrugs. "Hey, anything for the newsies. You guys deserve better than what my grandfather thinks."

I step towards them. "I hate to ruin the moment, but Spot's gonna be released from the hospital soon, we gotta go."

Jack nods. "Let's go then."

All the Manhattan newsies plus Jeremiah are there when I walk out of the hospital with Spot. The bills have been paid (mostly by Jeremiah) and Spot's been cleared to leave as long as he's not doing anything stupid that'll hurt him more.

"Hey Spot," Jack says.

Spot smiles and they spit shake. "Hey Jacky boy."

"Good to see you on your feet."

Spot nods. "It's good to be back on my feet. I got a borough to run and newsies to lead." 

I pull Spot's arm over to Jeremiah. "Spot, I want you to meet the guy who's been savin' lives left and right."

Spot raises his eyebrows at the blonde boy in front of him. "Jeremiah?"

Jeremiah nods. "That's me."

Spot nods slowly. "It's nice to finally meet you. Thanks for... well, a lot of things, I guess. For saving Danny, gettin' the police involved with the war, and for my bills."

Jeremiah shakes his heads. "It's nothing, really. Like I told the others, you guys deserve more than what everyone thinks."

"Hey Spotty boy!" Race yells. Spot turns and starts heading towards Race.

"Thank ya so much, Jeremiah," I say. "You's been amazin'."

Jeremiah smiles. "You're welcome. I have to go back home, but you guys stay safe, okay?"

I nod. "We will."

Jeremiah grins and walks away, so I start making my way towards Spot. I tap his arm.

Spot turns to me. "Oh hey. Where's the Brooklyn newsies?"

I glance at Jack, who's face has fallen. The newsies stop talking.

Spot glances between us. "What? What happened?"

I look down at my feet. "Um, so, the plan went the wrong way at one point..."

"But the Bronx is still gone, so it worked out. Right?"

"Well, sure. But um..."

"Darlin', just tell me."

I look up at him and sigh. "Tie's gone, Spot. The Bronx killed him. The Brooklyn newsies are takin' care of his body right now."

Spot doesn't say anything. I watch his face for any emotions, but there's nothing, not even a flash of sadness or grief. 

"Not everyone can survive. Death takes us all at one point," Spot finally says. He shakes his head and turns towards the newsies. "I should head back to Brooklyn. Thanks for all the help. With everythin', from the strike to the war to my hospital bills."

"Hey, 'Hattan and Brooklyn foreva," Mush says.

"That's right. 'Hattan and Brooklyn always and foreva!" Race yells. The newsies cheer and a smile that doesn't reach his eyes appears on Spot's face. I know what word is echoing in his brain.

Maybe.

Because even if we want something to last forever, we can't control that. We can't control much about the world. Always and forever is never guaranteed.

Spot turns to me. "You comin' to Brooklyn?"

I shake my head. "Not yet. I got some catchin' up to do with my family. I'll see ya later tonight."

Spot kisses me. "See ya tonight."

*A/N: for anyone wondering, we won our volleyball game last night!!!!!! Anyway, there's only one more part left, so I hope you're ready for the end. I've been having a lot of fun writing this and I appreciate all of you reading!*