Chapter 12: Her

*Spot's POV*

"What's we doing Spot?" Gil, one of my newsies asks. "We goin' to finish what we started or what?"

I stop pacing to look at him and the rest of my newsies. "I don't know boys. 'Hattan lied to us. Why's should we trust 'em again?"

"Don't do it for them. Do it for us. For Brooklyn," Tie, one of my best newsies, says.

I give him a look. He knows I'll do anything for Brooklyn. "I wanna keep you guys safe. You all know that's my one priority."

"'Hattan is safe! Who cares what Jack did and didn't say!" One of the newsies in the back yells. "What about what Danny said?"

My head snaps up at her name, searching for the newsie that said it. "Danny has no part in this. She ain't goin' be the decidin' factor."

"Do it for Brooklyn and her!" The same newsie yells. I gesture for the newsies to clear until I see who was yelling.

I groan. "Racetrack what the hell are ya doin' here?"

Race grins and starts towards me. "Nice to see ya too, Spotty boy."

"I ain't goin' to 'Hattan just cause you's here."

"Wasn't expectin' ya to. But I heard 'bout Danny's adventure here last night."

I stiffen, trying not to think about her lips on mine. "Yeah?"

"Yeah. And I was thinkin' that maybe you would like to go get your girl back. Unless you's worried about her brudda."

"She ain't my girl. And I ain't worried 'bout Mush."

"Sure. Well Jack knows everythin' 'bout the two of you so he might hurt ya too."

I roll my eyes. "Race, she ain't my girl. And Jack's a liar so I ain't worried 'bout him either."

Race pats my shoulder. "You can't lie to yaself foreva. But you keep tryin'. But I bet I'll see ya later."

I shake my head and Race grins before he starts walking away.

"Farewell Race!" I yell.

"See ya later Spotty!"

"We should go," Tie says later when we're talking privately. Along with being an amazing newsie, he's also what I would consider my closest friend.

I glare at him. "Tie, you's supposed to be on my side here."

"Well, your side is stupid. Race is right. You need to get Danny back. I's know you like her."

I scowl. "I's don't like no one. I'm heartless, remember?"

Tie rolls his eyes. "I saw the way you smiled at her at the rally. I's neva seen ya smile at anyone else like that. And I know your hesitation with goin' back to 'Hattan. But now it's not just a newsie strike, it's a child labor strike. They need every single kid that's bein' used there to win. They need us, Spot. Danny needs you. Why do you think she was here last night?"

"Since when do you tell me what to do?"

"Since you got stupid and resentful."

I stand up from my crates. "Tie, I think it's time for you to leave."

Tie shakes his head. "Only 'cause you know I'm right."

He walks off the docks.

"There's hundreds of 'em," Dash, my best spy, says. "Child workers from all across New York headin' to 'Hattan. No one is workin'."

Tie shoots me a look. I sigh, running a hand through my messy hair. I grab my hat and cane. "Let's go then."

Tie grins in a I told you so way. "Great. I'll gather the otha newsies."

After a few minutes, all the Brooklyn newsies are heading off the docks, towards 'Hattan. I can't believe I'm doing this. When I first started leading Brooklyn, I promised myself I would never get caught up in a mess with a girl and that I would always do what's best for Brooklyn. I know that the strike can help Brooklyn, but we were doing fine before it. And then Danny walked into my life and suddenly nothing was the way it was before.

As soon as we cross the bridge, I see the crowds. Dash was right, there's hundreds of kids storming the streets.

"When you got a million voices singing, who can hear a lousy whistle blow? And the World will know!"

I lead my boys into the square with along with all the other kids. I take my cane out of my belt loop. "Brooklyn!"

"And the World will feel the fire and finally know!"

I see the 'Hattan newsies cheering in the middle of the square. I head towards them until I see a familiar face. She's got the biggest smile on her face as she stands next to her brother.

She walks towards me. "Thought you weren't comin'."

I shrug. "Some of my newsies convinced me that this strike was worth it."

"Not 'cause of me?" she asks, a reference to the first time Brooklyn helped with the strike.

I smile. "Maybe just a little bit this time, darlin'."

*A/N: random- I watched Smurfs 2 and it reminded of the newsies fanfics because Smurfette is the only girl and they're all protective of her like the newsies are of the one girl in fanfics. Anyway, isn't Spot so cute?*